Image Map Image Map

Thread: So, I've spotted a Compaq DeskPro 386...

Default So, I've spotted a Compaq DeskPro 386...

Spotted a DeskPro 386 I might go for. Doesn't boot, apparently. Anything I ought to look out for, and should I go for it? The Deskpro 386 is one of my "holy grail" systems (particularly if it's got the early, 80287 FPU mainboard) and the price isn't terrible. I know offhand that bad caps are a common point of failure, so that'd be the first place I look.

Look for rust or corrosion on the back side or underneath. I have one that was almost completely dissolved due to a leaked battery pack.
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

I personally wouldn't buy anything that doesn't work, or at least doesn't have a known easily fixable issue, like a dead battery for example.

However, if you have the skill to attempt more complicated repairs yourself, and are willing to risk that amount of money, then go for it.
    My Packard Bell has never given me any problems which were it's fault, the Packard Haters can stuff it! :

Quote Originally Posted by eeguru View Post
    Look for rust or corrosion on the back side or underneath. I have one that was almost completely dissolved due to a leaked battery pack.
    Backside looks pretty clean. I've asked the seller to see if they can tell me what shape the battery is in, but it's the middle of the night so I don't expect 'em to get back to me till the morning. What model do they use, by the way?

Update?

6. Default

, got several of these at work sitting on shelves and using two desk pro 286's running my old DEC TU58 emulator program to boot diagnostics into plant control computers.

Think one of the 386's is my old desk top PC. Probably be pushing it though if I asked the boss as I've already had one old machine out of the door.