Image Map Image Map

Thread: Compaq Contura 430CX - two notebooks hang the same way while installing Win 9x.

Default Compaq Contura 430CX - two notebooks hang the same way while installing Win 9x.

Hi, All ! I have two 430CX Compaq Contura notebooks. They were working a year ago. Now I can't install Win 95OSR2 or 98SE - they hang at detection h-w or in swtup process... I'll give them to a friend, ingeneur who will try to fix them.... but in general - what do you think, can it be something that can be replaced like capacitors or the digital chips began to die and nothing can be done ? IT's my favorite piece of my retro-h-w, these 430CX's....(

MS_Dos 6.22 installs, DooM/Heratic/Hexen works ok, Memtest86+ reports that RAM - all 16 megs is ok ....
    Last edited by Sandisk78; May 27th, 2018 at 12:06 AM.

Maybe it has something to do with the date? Try setting the year back to 1999. Some solutions to Y2K only extended the problem out a few years by considering years lower than a certain number to be 20xx and those higher to be 19xx.
    PCjr, DTK PC-XT Turbo, 386DX 33, 486 laptop, Pentium 120, Pentium III 500, various old laptops, Commodore Colt, all working. I also have a 286 that I need to see if I can repair.

Quote Originally Posted by KenEG View Post
    Maybe it has something to do with the date? Try setting the year back to 1999. Some solutions to Y2K only extended the problem out a few years by considering years lower than a certain number to be 20xx and those higher to be 19xx.
    Thanks ! But it's for shure some other problem - date is set to 1995 )

There are secret and non-secret switches for the Win9x installers, one of which may help if it's a problem with hardware detection, because it disables that - "/IP". You might also want to disable "program" detection, as that might cause issues if the disk is especially large (unlikely here) or the directory structure is particularly complex or problematic in some way (corrupted file, bad directory entry in the FAT, etc.).

See here for more details:
    http://www.thpc.info/how/switches9x.html

The fact that you say it also hangs "in setup process" is a bit disconcerting for that theory, though - when exactly does it hang? Is it completely random? How did you get past the hardware detection hang, is it random whether that occurs?

Also, how are you going about the installation? There are a number of ways to install Win9x:
    - Boot to DOS on the HDD, then run installer from CD/HDD/Network/etc.
    - Boot floppy, then running the installer from CD/HDD/Network/etc..
    - Via bootable CD (unlikely in this case, mentioning for completeness).

There's a few more oddball ways to do it but these are the typical ways. If you're using a CD, try copying the contents of the CD to a directory on the HDD, i.e., "98SETUP" and run it from there.

Quote Originally Posted by KenEG View Post
    There's no issue with the date and DOS7+ (don't know for sure if old versions of DOS choke on Y2K - unlikely since they rely on the BIOS) or Windows3x/9x at all as long as the BIOS supports Y2K just fine - and most seem to. The only issue Windows ever has with Y2K in my experience is Win3x file manager needs a patch to display the year properly post-2000, otherwise you get garbage characters, but it's being stored/manipulated correctly under the hood.

As a side note, if you ever sell one of those Conturas I'd be interested.
    Last edited by Raven; May 28th, 2018 at 05:40 PM.
    More commonly known as "Yushatak" - www.yushatak.com
    Focused on 486 and Pentium Machines
    I collect All-In-One PCs and Keyboard PCs, especially Compaq.