Image Map Image Map

Thread: Mac SE Serial problem

Blog Entries

Default Mac SE Serial problem

I bought a very nice condition Mac SE from the original owner. It's 800K with 1m and OS 6. Standard issues with the floppy. I can't get the serial port to operate correctly using RedRyder or a standard terminal program. I'm trying to get it to work with getty on a linux machine.
    I can take another MAC SE that has system 7.5 and 4m and everything works fine.
    What am I missing? (obviously I'm not a mac expert)
    Kaypro 1,2,II,2X,10 Apple IIe Apple IIgs Commodore 128d, 64 IBM 5160 Ampro littleboard

How much did you pay for the SE and what was included?

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by phogren View Post
    I'm trying to get it to work with getty on a linux machine.
    I can take another MAC SE that has system 7.5 and 4m and everything works fine.
    So by saying this, you mean that the problem is not the serial cable, since you can get a serial connection with another Mac. Have you tried the same terminal program on both Macs, and it's only this new SE that it won't work on?

Could be the SCC chip in your new SE is faulty.

Blog Entries

Yes, I setup the old SE and hook it up to the Linux computer running Getty. I then switch out the machines and it won't work - occasionally incorrect characters.
    I'll have to see if I can substitute the SSC chip.
    Kaypro 1,2,II,2X,10 Apple IIe Apple IIgs Commodore 128d, 64 IBM 5160 Ampro littleboard