Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Awful Transition Speeds on VGA Wonder XL

Are fades in DOS games also slow?

Blog Entries

I quickly loaded up Alien Carnage before I left for work and no, fades there work fine.
    = Excellent space heater

Blog Entries

Is the video mode in Wndows running at the default refresh rate for the mode? (Meaning, 640x480 defaults to 60 Hz; are you overriding yours to 85Hz or something?)

Is there another video card you can try in your 386? Or, can you try the exact same test (windows games, VGA Wonder XL) in a different/faster computer? Either test will provide valuable information.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)
    - Any very old/ugly IBM joystick (such as the Franklin JS-123)

The Journeyman Project was slow enough that they released a revised "turbo" version.

I would try another video card as well. Tseng Labs ET4000AX cards are period correct or something like the WD Paradise cards.

Blog Entries

I have one of those Tseng cards however I will have to take preference with an ATI Mach 8 card (Graphics Ultra) that has the 1mb VRAM upgrade and the BUS mouse port as I am using that to save me a serial port.

Windows drivers are available here >>CICKY<<. Hold my beer.
    Last edited by NeXT; June 1st, 2018 at 04:54 PM.
    = Excellent space heater

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    I quickly loaded up Alien Carnage before I left for work and no, fades there work fine.
    It has to be a Windows driver issue then. You might try the Microsoft drivers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    Hold my beer.
    Curiously this card will work (badly) with the old VGA Wonder driver enough that I can start windows and a game but mouse.sys cannot detect my BUS mouse so no point proceeding with the Windows drivers if the mouse is not working. Supposedly there is a zip file called m8util.zip that contains everything for the DOS support (and perhaps an updated mouse.sys?) however it seems the file everyone points to was at this url and it's gone 404. Vogons has a few drivers as well but because Vogons has this weird kink (or just a lack of integrity?) for how drivers are archived it's both specifically for the 8514-Ultra AND they stripped out the extra drivers. Thanks Vogons. You suck.

Interestingly the Vantage card according to this PC Mag article is identical to the Graphics Ultra but with half the ram. Mouse.sys works under that card so I wonder what's the problem. I guess it's disabled in the EEPROM and because I don't have the correct utility I can't enable it again.

Edited: Someone on #oldx86hardware dug it up and for the time it's available at http://www.mediafire.com/file/d2ocyixghlzdzh8/m8utl.zip Can someone please nudge that to an archive that's a bit more public?
    Indeed the mouse is an EEPROM configurable setting and was disabled. Enabled it to default values and I need someone to hold my beer again while I try loading these drivers.

Edited:
    Please note that this is a stripped-down version of the installation
    package found on our standard mach8 (v3.0) diskettes.
    Jesus christ almighty. Why the hell is this something that people allow to happen? Again all the meaty bits such as DRIVERS FOR OTHER APPLICATIONS are missing. Thankfully the Windows drivers at least can be found elsewhere.
    Last edited by NeXT; June 1st, 2018 at 08:07 PM.
    = Excellent space heater

Blog Entries

Okay yes, the VGA Wonder XL or at least its latest driver were the problem. The fading/transitions are FAR more acceptably faster on a Mach 8.
    = Excellent space heater

The mach 8 card should also work with IBM 8514/A drivers as its register compatible.

Browsing ATI's archived site, they actually recommend using the SVGA.EXE drivers with the VGA Wonder! https://web.archive.org/web/19980128...ivers/vga.html

This was a common occurrence back in the day as the SVGA.EXE drivers were new enough to properly support things like WinG.

mach8 stuff is here: https://web.archive.org/web/19980128...ers/mach8.html