Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The New Roseanne was Cancelled over a Tweet, of all Things

She definitely should have thought twice before she tweeted that, however, canceling the entire show is a massive overreaction.

I am a free speech absolutist. This means I think anyone should be able to say anything (yes, even "hate speech"), and not face any government consequences. However, private entities can make their own decisions. So ABC has the right to do what they want to do, but I also have the right to exercise my free speech and say I disagree with them and think they massively overreacted.

If I was ABC, I would have arranged a serious meeting with her, and made sure she got the message that she needs to tame her social media because of her high profile and the network.
    My Packard Bell has never given me any problems which were it's fault, the Packard Haters can stuff it! :

Blog Entries

She has been pushing people buttons for decades (some of her appeal), currently that seems to be out of favor. We went from a say anything kind of culture to one that you can't say anything, I expect over time it will swing back the other way.

There are tens of thousands of people who are just waiting to start a boycott of anybody who says something offensive because they get off on it.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    She has been pushing people buttons for decades (some of her appeal), currently that seems to be out of favor. We went from a say anything kind of culture to one that you can't say anything, I expect over time it will swing back the other way.

There are tens of thousands of people who are just waiting to start a boycott of anybody who says something offensive because they get off on it.
    This is exactly why even if I figure out what I want to do as a career, I am not going back to college until this wave passes, because if I as an atheist say "there is no god", it also translate into "there is no allah" which will be twisted into "he hates and wants to kill all Muslims" and I'll be called an extreme-right neo-nazi. It sounds completely mental, but unfortunately, many people these days are completely mental, especially people around the usual college age, and in my age group.

I am ashamed of much of my peers behavior and misguided ideology.
    Last edited by ScanDisk; May 30th, 2018 at 12:12 AM.
    My Packard Bell has never given me any problems which were it's fault, the Packard Haters can stuff it! :

I'm not sure if it was right or wrong. However I have no empathy for small business owners who shout their personal beliefs in their workplace and then wonder why customers walk out the door. Roseanne Barr - like all celebrities - is a small company - a small corporation in fact judging from her revenue stream. Celebrities, like all small companies, have to promote themselves, their image, their value, and their track record confidently to their consumers; in this case production companies and networks. The customer buying her product right now is The Disney Corporation for goodness sake. She's well aware of the volatile political atmosphere and rather than deciding to publicly act in the best interest of her vested interests - her brand - she pushes the free speech button and throws a hand grenade in the air.

There is a line of people literally around the block in Hollywood trying to replace the Roseanne Bars and Lindsey Lohans who don't get that. I don't blame the networks for taking the risk on the next up and comer when the legacy talent still hasn't learned to act in their best self-interest.

Just like the NFL players, if you want to exercise free speech, do it on your own time - anonymously. As a celebrity brand, you are always on the company clock - like it or not. And she was spending branding capitol with every personal tweet. Power-house celebrity brands like Taylor Swift understand image first - everything else in retirement. Her or her people ask the question, 'does this serve my brand's best interest?' before walking down the side-walk crooked. Barr just doesn't get it or doesn't care and this is the result.
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

This is why I don't use "social media"

And not that I care one way or another what she thinks or posted.. because I dont. But as a celebrity, and and aging one at that, she should know that having political views is a surefire way to get into trouble. Your a damned celebrity, people are watching your stuff, you really need to air your opinions to the world on top of thaT?

Actions have consequences. Free speech is guaranteed by the first amendment to the constitution. But what people seem to forget is that while the government can not punish you for most (*) forms of free speech, private individuals are free to interpret what you say and act upon it.

(* Yelling "Fire!" in a crowded place is a well known example of where your free speech right is not absolute. )

In the most generic terms possible, people/corporations interpreted what she said, made some calculations, and then reacted in a way that they fit. Maybe a strong moral code was part of the cost calculation, or maybe it was just business. We don't know the whole story, or what led up to everything, so second guessing here doesn't accomplish anything.

Please do not bring politics to the forum; it often ends poorly because people can't/won't restrain themselves and remain civil. VCF forums are not a free speech zone ... we moderate aggressively to keep the forums focused on vintage computing.

Well, that warning didn't work ... there is now a deleted post. My apologies to anybody who had to read that garbage.

The thread is now closed/locked.