Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ebay miscategorizations

Oh wow that new "similar item" page is bad. Totally useless for one-off items like most vintage computing items. It always shows something that is TOTALLY unrelated, simply because there usually isn't another one like it listed.

And it even shows that page when I browse sold items and click items, such as from https://www.ebay.com/sch/Vintage-Com...p2045573.m1684

It is a pretty "duh" thing that no one would WANT to see a different item in this case.

I seen the same thing when I was searching for Color Computer there was pages and pages not a thing to do with Color Computer. If it don't stop I will have to somewhere else if there is a place.

Another annoying recent development is that eBay seems to be making changes to the search results page: sometimes you'll get the "old" version (with black listing dates and larger page number buttons) and sometimes you'll get the new version (with grey listing dates and smaller page number buttons) from page to page in a search. The thing is that this somehow has been throwing off exactly which page a group of listings is shown on (with the results ordered by "newest first" or similar!), so that the results might skip ahead too far or jump back when advancing one page.

At least the new "similar item" thing with completed listings allows you to still reach the completed listing by clicking the word "listing" in the banner... for now.

By the way, since the subject was mentioned earlier, you should be able to configure what types of email eBay sends you in "Communication Preferences" under the Account tab in My eBay.

And I usually use the "Wish List" instead of the Watch List for keeping track of items both in an effort to avoid increasing the likelihood of an item of interest showing up in eBay's item recommendation lists, and because it still allows me to archive listings to another list to get around the max-200 listing limit for individual lists (eBay removed that functionality from the Watch List some time ago).

I'm REALLY getting annoyed by that new "The listing you’re looking for is no longer available." garbage. The thing that really bugs me is that the the way it is worded, it is often an outright LIE. The seller has re-listed the item. It is still available! But instead of telling me this, it lies to my face and shows me an unrelated product instead. As a potential buyer this tells me I should give up and go away. I'd think sellers would be royally pissed about that.

you know i keep having this conversation with people. There are a slew of slites that do the the same thing, amazon clones, facebook type sites, why is there only one eBay? YEs I know you will say ali-baba, but thats predominately asia isnt it? I know yahoo auctions still exists in japan, but not the US. How is eBay allowed to have a stranglehold here? Its absurd? I would have gladly jumped ship ten years ago with there was another venue in town.

Blog Entries

There were lots of ebay-wannabes back in the day. Check out, for example Onsale.com. Yahoo ran an auction site, as did several other mail providers.

Ebay prospered because its penetration was better than anyone else's. I used to buy audio and musical gear from the Digibid site (still have the T-shirt and mouse pad). Dutch auctions were not uncommon, even on eBay. Ubid is still around, but like other old auction sites, it has morphed into selling new and surplus stuff--it's not somewhere you can just put your old doghouse up fro bid. Many of the auction sites were rife with shill bidding. Yahoo! Japan still runs its own auctions.

What helped eBay a lot was Elon Musk's acquisition of Palo Alto Savings and Loan, once known as x.com (somewhere I still have a credit card issued by them), which eventually morphed into paypal.

There's also Etsy, which is for "handmade, vintage, and unique goods", including vintage computers:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/592564492

Quote Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
    There's also Etsy, which is for "handmade, vintage, and unique goods", including vintage computers:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/592564492
    I didnt know etsy did vintage computers. I would have to assume they are pricey if they post there.