Image Map Image Map

Thread: Hello, World!

1. Post Hello, World!

Hi everyone,

My name is Jake and I'm doing an internship this summer working on historic technology ranging from the early 70s through the late 90s. Since I was about 12 I have always loved taking apart, rebuilding, and saving old tech! I learned most of what I know from my older brother who is doing his grad work in historic computing at SFU.

The end goal of my internship is to establish a historic computing lab with functioning and interactive computers for all the students at my university. I have mostly been rebuilding, cleaning, and reprogramming computers, printers, and a couple gaming consoles. I am very interested in the subject of historic technologies and hope to contribute some helpful/interesting information to the community as well as get some help on some of the more archaic pieces I am working on!

So far I have about 30 computers, mostly Mac Classics, Plus, and Se's as well as some Zeniths, an Atari 1040 (with original monitor and mouse!!), two TRS-80 Coco 2's, and 8 computers that have 50%~80% of their components but I cannot identify. I really want to immerse myself in the subject and expand my knowledge of these old computers so I can get them all working and start drawing up schematics for others to use.

That sounds like a great Idea. I'm curious to know how your brother turned vintage computing into grad work. What's that a PhD? I've always wondered if I could do something similar. At any rate a "historic computing lab" sounds to be very useful, though I would expect funding for it would be rather difficult as it is a niche subject.
    Looking for: OMTI SMS Scientific Micro Systems 8610 or 8627 ESDI ISA drive controller, May also be branded Core HC, Please PM me if you want to part with one.

Welcome to the forum!

p.s. you can always post pictures of unknown objects here. We have a plethora of members with different skillsets to help you identify them.

Blog Entries

Those mentioned are all personal computers, mostly microcomputers. If you want to be inclusive, consider some of the big iron of 70s. There was a lot of it.

Blog Entries

Sounds like me! Keep going and don't lose your enthusiasm.
    Rick Ethridge

Hi Jake. Welcome to the forums! Hopefully you'll get some IBM compatible stuff in your collection too.
    WANTED: Cardinal 2450MNP modem.

7. Default

He did his masters in history, focusing on WWII era politics, which then lead him to find and work with some of the people at the bletchley park museum! From there I believe he found a professor to work under for his PhD.
    Funding for this assignment was (and is) pretty hard to come by haha
    We've done a couple presentations already! More to come mid July if all goes well!

8. Post Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm excited to post some of the computers I have here! By end of day I should have some interesting challenges to present!