Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help identifying boards?

Default Help identifying boards?

I found a couple boxes with the Digital logo on them today. I love old computers, and the person at the garage sale wanted to get rid of them so I was able to get them for free. The thing is, I know very little about the DEC computers. I was hoping for some help identifying what is in the boxes so I can decide what I can do with them. Of course, I would love to do some sort of project with them, but I'll have to wait and see until I get more info.

What is identifiable is the intersil 6100 family sampler pack. In the same box is a board of led's, and I have to check them to see if a sampler board is part of it. Can anyone out there either help or point me in the right direction? I've been googling for a couple hours now and am struggling in finding anything.

I guess that the easiest way is to just take a picture on each board and post it to the thread. Try to find identifying numbers. Intersil 6100 was used in VT78/ Decmate range of small PDP-8 (almost) compatible computers.

You should be aware that DEC had various different ways of identifying cards (just to confuse people).

If you look at the card you will see it has a plastic handle (more often than not). The plastic is a particular colour - what colour is it? On the handle will be some text. What is the text?

But, as Mattis has already stated - photographs are your friend! But do take a high resolution photograph of the handle and the front and rear of each board.

You will not be able to upload your images to VCFED - but store them somewhere and link to them from VCFED and we should be able to help you out further.

Please, however, don't mix up the boxes etc. as they may already be sorted into some sort of order. However, the order may be incorrect. For example, I had a box of PDP-11 UNIBUS cards - but I didn't recognise one of the module identifiers. I finally tracked it down as a PDP-8 OMNIBUS card...

Where are you based? It would help to put your location in your profile. Someone from VCFED may live near you and may be willing to help out.

Dave

Thanks for the reply's. Working on pictures now.

I've had time to really look through the boxes, and they came with manuals, a couple old floppys, a couple rolls of paper tape, and some blueprints. It looks like one box is pdp-10, because all the documentation is for decsystem10, time sharing, and TOPS-10. The second box seems to be pdp-8, mostly because of the intersil chips and it seems to have the switch and light board for a pdp-8 in it. I will post pictures of boards and switches ASAP. Thank you for the help!

And I am located in Southern Vermont. I will update my profile as well.

https://imgur.com/a/ubkOdZW Here is the boards. The camera was having problems, so I will take a few more today, to get them more in focus. Any suggestion on what to take pictures of will be greatly appreciated.

So, after looking around a bit, it seems that I have 4 vt100 keyboards in various states of completness. I took a picture of the one with the most keys, but there is one with no keycaps at all. Looks like I 4 cards that seem to be video cards as well? Because they have two coax connectors and a 12(?) pin connector on them. That is in the box with what seems to be mostly pdp-8 stuff. Looks like a lot of cards that have to do with memory as well. What I didn't take pictures of is the manuals and floppy disks in the box. Any questions about those and I will happy to answer.

Also, I have some blueprints and schematics as well.

The picture quality wasn't that good so it can be hard to tell more. But you should take a picture of the magenta handle or the metal handle. There is usually a number printed there. Mxxxx or something similar. If there is no handle then the identifiers are somewhere on the board Mxxxx or Gxxx or Hxxx or anything.

However I give it a try anyhow.

Picture
    #2 2 bus grant for unibus G727 and a M930 Unibus terminator.
    #6 Same as #2.
    #8 PDP-11/04 CPU
    #9 M8310 PDP-8/E CPU board
    #10 LA30 Keyboard.
    #12 PDP-11/34 Control baord M7266 I guess...
    #14 M849 memory shield.
    #17 VT100 Basic Video
    #18 Omnibus Core mem board
    #21 Looks like some kind of microcode board but it would be easier to identify it with the number.
    #22 Omnibus Core memory
    #25 M8320 Bus loads for PDP-8/E
    #26 VT100 Basic Video
    #27 PDP-8/E Front panel board.
    #28 LA36 control board I think.
    #30 Omnibus Core memory stack.

The others are hard to tell for sure. Many of the smaller boards with magenta handles look like PDP-8 omnibus option boards. The bigger hex boards are likely to be PDP-11 boards.

There are a number of lists available to check the numbers. Like http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/academic/...ield-guide.txt and https://homepage.divms.uiowa.edu/~jo...e/modules.html

What is your goal? Trying to sell it?
    Last edited by MattisLind; June 5th, 2018 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Added one more guess...

Picture
    #3 Unibus board because the I/O connector is on the right
    #4 Unibus board because the I/O connector is on the right
    #5 Need the number from the handle
    #7 Probably an M836 Omnibus Data Break Interface
    #11 Need the number from the handle
    #13 Probably an M836 Omnibus Data Break Interface
    #19 The number from the handles would help
    #20 There should be an "M" number on the back of the PCB
    #29 Something very special. Maybe some identifying marks on the PCB?
    Member of the Rhode Island Computer Museum
    http://www.ricomputermuseum.org

#19 look like W250 panel lamp drivers. I have seen these to drive the lamps on the font panel of the KA10. Maybe TC08 uses something similar?

Lou

Quote Originally Posted by Lou - N2MIY View Post
    #19 look like W250 panel lamp drivers. I have seen these to drive the lamps on the font panel of the KA10. Maybe TC08 uses something similar?

Lou
    The RICM has two KA10 consoles, and one has the lamp driver boards installed. I didn't find the console in the KA10 prints.
    Member of the Rhode Island Computer Museum
    http://www.ricomputermuseum.org