Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: IBM Aptiva video output problem

I'm running Windows 95, and in system properties it says 4.00.950C. The sound card is a Creative CT 4740, but I also dug up a CT 4810 I can also try out. When it seemed to be working for those 10 minutes I did try running Wolf3d from dos with the same issue. I didn't install all of the Creative stuff that goes with the card, just the standalone driver installer that they have on their website, which I think may be the problem

Alternatively I also have an MWave MC27802C and a Packard Bell 030056 sound card, both isa, which might work

Well, I decided to try out that Packard Bell sound card (made by Aztech apparently) and it worked just fine first time. Guess I'm using that then.

The CT4740 is based on the Ensoniq model cards (Creative bought them in 1998 ) and they include SB emulation - from personal experience I know that these can be acceptable in audio quality, but will probably differ a bit from actual OPL chips. There's also a chance you might run into a game or two that don't like them for some reason. The same is true for your CT4810, even though Wikipedia doesn't list it with the others.

Unlike true SB/SB Pro/SB16/etc. these *do* require drivers to act as an intermediary between DOS software and the card (and note that that takes up a bit of RAM, but you can probably configure that to be loaded high).

The drivers for these cards can be found here:
    http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile...73&menustate=0 - DOS Drivers
    http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile...78&menustate=0 - Win9x Drivers

While I know the Ensoniq emulation isn't bad (though it's been several years since I used one, YMMV), I have no idea about Aztech or that particular card you're using now. Personally unless there's a real Yamaha OPL2 or OPL3 chip on there I'd rather use emulation of one, since it will probably differ less when doing FM synthesis than a different card all together would.
    More commonly known as "Yushatak" - www.yushatak.com
    Focused on 486 and Pentium Machines
    I collect All-In-One PCs and Keyboard PCs, especially Compaq.

Yeah, I'd like to find a true sound blaster but I think this Aztech card will suit me just fine for the time being. Don't want to mess with something that works