Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: IBM Aptiva video output problem

I'm running Windows 95, and in system properties it says 4.00.950C. The sound card is a Creative CT 4740, but I also dug up a CT 4810 I can also try out. When it seemed to be working for those 10 minutes I did try running Wolf3d from dos with the same issue. I didn't install all of the Creative stuff that goes with the card, just the standalone driver installer that they have on their website, which I think may be the problem

Alternatively I also have an MWave MC27802C and a Packard Bell 030056 sound card, both isa, which might work

Well, I decided to try out that Packard Bell sound card (made by Aztech apparently) and it worked just fine first time. Guess I'm using that then.

The CT4740 is based on the Ensoniq model cards (Creative bought them in 1998 ) and they include SB emulation - from personal experience I know that these can be acceptable in audio quality, but will probably differ a bit from actual OPL chips. There's also a chance you might run into a game or two that don't like them for some reason. The same is true for your CT4810, even though Wikipedia doesn't list it with the others.

Unlike true SB/SB Pro/SB16/etc. these *do* require drivers to act as an intermediary between DOS software and the card (and note that that takes up a bit of RAM, but you can probably configure that to be loaded high).

The drivers for these cards can be found here:
    http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile...73&menustate=0 - DOS Drivers
    http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile...78&menustate=0 - Win9x Drivers

While I know the Ensoniq emulation isn't bad (though it's been several years since I used one, YMMV), I have no idea about Aztech or that particular card you're using now. Personally unless there's a real Yamaha OPL2 or OPL3 chip on there I'd rather use emulation of one, since it will probably differ less when doing FM synthesis than a different card all together would.
    More commonly known as "Yushatak" - www.yushatak.com
    Focused on 486 and Pentium Machines
    I collect All-In-One PCs and Keyboard PCs, especially Compaq.

Yeah, I'd like to find a true sound blaster but I think this Aztech card will suit me just fine for the time being. Don't want to mess with something that works

Well, I'm having problems getting the Aptiva to output video again. It doesn't post and the monitor turns on as if it's outputting video but it just shows black. I upgraded the cpu to a 200mhz one and it posted several times after I swapped over, but stopped as soon as I put the computer back together. If I have just one stick of ram in the computer, it makes 1 beep, then 3 then 1, but if I have 2 or more there aren't any beeps

And I checked the power supply voltages without load, and the 3 and 5v rails seemed fine but the 12v rail seemed a little low at 11.8v

Well, I checked the psu in another AT computer I have, and it seemed to work just fine, although that computer doesn't make use of the extra connectors on the psu and it has a less power hungry 486 dx2

Quote Originally Posted by RadRacer203 View Post
    And I checked the power supply voltages without load, and the 3 and 5v rails seemed fine but the 12v rail seemed a little low at 11.8v
    AT and ATX PSUs are allowed a voltage tolerance of +/-5% on all positive power rails and +/-10% on all negative rails. The 12v rail can dip to 11.4v before it goes out of spec. Make sure you also check the negative rails, the blue wire is -12v and white is -5v.

Checking a PSU unloaded isn't really a valid test though, the voltages can change drastically when a load is applied.

But checking the voltage is only half of the information you need to know, the more important factor is the ripple current on the rails. If the ripple is too high, it can cause all sorts of erratic system behavior. Two of the most bizarre examples of bad power I've had are the first being a Shuttle XPC, where the system would run perfectly fine (and I mean perfect) UNTIL you opened the display control panel in Windows and the screen would go black with pink jail bars going down the screen. The other is my Dual PIII-S 1400 which ran fine until you loaded it down and then the hard drive would shut off and cause a system crash.

Ripple current can't be checked without an oscilloscope, the cheaper alternative is to remove and check capacitors directly for leakage and ESR. Old power supplies almost always have at least one bad capacitor, and they're usually those damn hard to reach tiny ones stuffed between transformers, which are the ones that are most likely to cause the PSU to act up.

I haven't checked the power supply any further, but I accidentally left the computer on when I left the room, and after about 10 minutes the splash screen came on the screen, and it seemed to be working, although about 100 times slower than it should be. The only thing I could think of that might cause that would be a bad cmos battery, but I replaced it and nothing changed. The old one read 3.1v.

Edit: just talked to my friend, and he thinks there's a constant interrupt on one of the data lines for the cpu. He said he saw something similar happen on an old Macintosh a while back
    Last edited by RadRacer203; July 20th, 2018 at 06:12 AM.