Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: digital audio CD player for DOS/Windows 3.1

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Also, I'm not sure why you're concerning yourself with DOSIDLE. What are you hoping to accomplish? You're not running a v8086 environment.
    Without DOSIDLE, the CPU consumption will be 100%, which is not good for this CPU. I have seen it for myself - the fan will be at full speed without it. Most online tutorials recommend using DOSIDLE when running on modern CPUs.

You're going to find that very difficult, if outright impossible.
    If you read my post at all, I have accomplished most of what I want (sound, network, SVGA), and this motherboard will be with me for a while. So don't just think that it's impossible without actually trying it. DOS drivers are still available for modern network cards and will remain to be so for at least a while
    Last edited by mdanh2002; June 11th, 2018 at 03:40 AM.

Blog Entries

Did you purchase modern gear *just* to run DOS and Windows 3.1?
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)
    - Any very old/ugly IBM joystick (such as the Franklin JS-123)

Did you purchase modern gear *just* to run DOS and Windows 3.1?
    Of course not. But I'd love to find out whether vintage software can still run on modern hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by mdanh2002 View Post
    Of course not. But I'd love to find out whether vintage software can still run on modern hardware.
    Now you're making sense to me.
    WANTED: Cardinal 2450MNP modem.

You shouldn't really be using Microsoft HIMEM at all on a modern machine (especially not old versions, use 7.10 if you're going to use Microsoft's), since there are alternatives that have been written within the past decade that account for the possibility of there being that much memory, and with more features/fewer bugs as they've been supported far more recently.

JemmEx combines the XMM and EMM and loads with very little memory used, and if you combine that with UMBPCI you can very easily have zero conventional memory usage on boot. See the below link for info on that:

http://web.archive.org/web/201410030...ww.japheth.de/

I use QEMM 9 on my primary DOS machine since it's period hardware, but assuming it doesn't freak out at the amount of memory it would be a big improvement over Microsoft's HIMEM since it can optimize the load order and get conventional memory down really low, as well as being able to load some things high that DOS can't on its own.

As for the sound card SB emulation drivers taking up memory, they should be able to at least partially load high.

You could confirm the Win3x CPU usage isn't maxing out by running a CPU usage meter like the one that QEMM includes (and I'm sure there are tons out there).

You're going to find that very difficult, if outright impossible. UEFI support has edged out BIOS support from modern motherboards. Even if you find some configuration that hobbles along, in 2 years all motherboards are going to be UEFI and there won't be any BIOS support left for DOS to work with.
    I'm pretty sure that we'll see UEFI applications that emulate BIOS support and chainloaders that do the same, so I don't think that will stop people from trying things like this if they want to, it will just be even harder. After all, it's not like switching to UEFI suddenly means we don't need to talk to the hardware through a standard interface during boot, so doubtlessly we can translate that.
    More commonly known as "Yushatak" - www.yushatak.com
    Focused on 486 and Pentium Machines
    I collect All-In-One PCs and Keyboard PCs, especially Compaq.

JemmEx combines the XMM and EMM and loads with very little memory used, and if you combine that with UMBPCI you can very easily have zero conventional memory usage on boot. See the below link for info on that:
    Thanks. let me try JemmEx and see whether it will still work well with my Windows 3.1 installation. Will also QEMM to measure CPU usage as you suggested.

As for loading the sound blaster emulation drivers high, I remember trying that and did not get things to work satisfactorily. If I recall correctly, some games which otherwise worked fine with these drivers either refused to load or froze the machine if the drivers were loaded high. I will try again when I have the free time.

Oh well, memory management in DOS is a long-lost art