Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Macintosh Classic Monitor Issue

Quote Originally Posted by tempest View Post
    Are those affected by the analog board? If so, would recapping it fix the issue?
    Most likely.

My SE seems to be working just fine except for a flaky disk drive. Anyone know where I can get a replacement 800k drive?
    Before you look for a replacement, try cleaning the heads with a cuetip soaked in alcohol and relubricate the head rails with lithium grease.

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    Most likely.

Before you look for a replacement, try cleaning the heads with a cuetip soaked in alcohol and relubricate the head rails with lithium grease.
    Be super careful when cleaning the heads; they are only held in with some sort of foil and glue.
    System 80 Expansion Interface located! Thanks to all who helped out and the good people in the NZ vintage computer forums!

BTW this is what the monitor is doing now: http://www.atariprotos.com/temp/mac2.mov

BTW this is what the monitor is doing now: http://www.atariprotos.com/temp/mac2.mov
    Sorry it's not strictly Classic related; but I assume apple designed the video circuit with a lot of similarities....

On the SE and SE/30 there is a diode (CR2 I think) and a power transistor (Q2) on the analogue board which are tied into the flyback control circuit. I've had two macs with failing diodes and one with a failing transistor which caused a twitch similar to one in your video.

The other thing which causes some constant waves (not so much a twitch) is a bad 3.9uF non polar capacitor near the flyback transformer on the SE range. That was a little different to your video; but it is conceivable that it might be bad.

Perhaps you can find the schematics for the Classic analogue board and see if you can find any parallels to these parts.
    System 80 Expansion Interface located! Thanks to all who helped out and the good people in the NZ vintage computer forums!

Just took a look at a classic analogue board. There is a big diode, a MOSFET transistor on a heatsink plus a big green polyester capacitor all near the CRT yolk connector (near the top of the board, to the left of the flyback).

I would start with these; and if it makes no difference the board probably needs all the electrolytics replaced.

I’m having someone recap the AB for me.