Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: QIC Tape Cartridge Tension Band Replacement - Plastibands!

Those belts have a lot less elasticity than the QIC bands, and of course seem to last for decades.

Yeah, I doubt the replacements I'm working on ordering will work as floppy drive belts. I'm sure the company could provide such belts, if there's a real need for them. Someone's got a source for brand-new Amdek CF-2 drives, and they're also pretty cheap, so clearly some company is still willing to run floppy drive belts! Aside from the CF-2 drive in my Amstrad PCW8512, I don't think I've ever had to replace a floppy drive belt.

Blog Entries

Strange but true--I replaced a CF-2 belt with a plastiband. Worked okay when I did it, but can't say much about what shape it's in now.

You can also get newer DC600 cartridges and take a band out of those and install in an older DC300 with a broken band.

Bumping this thread.

I had great success a couple of years ago purchasing NOS 3M 6250 tape cartridge packs - the bands were in great shape, and I used them to recover Tektronix 4051 programs from DC300 tapes.

However, I just received one more box of NOS 6250 cartridges and all bands were broken inside the sealed packages

Monty

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    Yeah, I doubt the replacements I'm working on ordering will work as floppy drive belts.
    I've used a toothed drive belt from SDP/SI in a flipped configuration to replace a stretched drive belt on an 8" CDC floppy drive in an HP 9895A successfully. Due to the slightly larger belt length, I had to enlarge the motor mounting holes to support moving the motor away from the drive spindle to get the proper tension, but that wasn't a big deal.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Al Kossow View Post
    There are two major problems with Plastibands. The first is that they age badly. Don't lay in a stock and expect to use them 5 years from now--they do lose their "stretch" with time. The second is that they're often not very uniform--and there's a 'join" where the ends meet.

There are also several minor problems. The first is that the PBs are made of a lower-Durometer polyurethane than the originals. The second is that the original bands have a lubricant embedded, which the PBs do not.

Bottom line: If you can get a PB to work for you, don't count on it working a month from now. Get your data and skedaddle.

The fellow that I spoke with from Imation years ago said the manufacturing method was to punch annular patches from a sheet of PU and then "flip" them to create perfectly symmetrical seamless belts. He tried to find the lab machine that actually did the "flipping" and mounting, but turned up empty.

Thanks everyone! I vaguely remembered getting some Plastibands after I posted my question this morning and found them.

I had ordered the 4 1/2 inch pack on Amazon - and put one on a couple of DC100A tape cartridges I had for a Tektronix 4041 computer.

Both tapes tried to auto load - but had errors.

Possibly my Plastibands had aged a bit - I put two together on one tape and it read the file I had written on it 20 years ago! Yippee!

Does this 4 1/2 inch band work on the DC300 tapes too - or I need a longer band?

Monty

Blog Entries

I've had some success in using the 6 inch bands on the DC300 sized carts. But I understand that they're hard to find.