Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tektronix 405x GPIB Flash Drive

I had to adjust the directory rights. They should download now.
    I have several manuals I would like to upload to Bitsavers. What are the requirements of the PDF's and other files, & how do I submit them? I have a pretty good scanner, I just want to get the best format possible.

I was successfull at capturing all the files from a Tektronix 4051 Graphics T1 tape last weekend.

Here is the link to a couple of photos of the process:

Capturing Tektronix 4051 Graphics T1 tape files to laptop

First I replaced the disintegrated drive belt with one from a NOS 3M DC6250 cartridge.

I used my 4051 to PC serial transfer program on my recently repaired and upgraded 4054A.

I set the comm speed of the 4054 serial interface to the maximum 9600 baud, but as it is 7-bit, my program changes all 32 Tektronix control characters to "~X~" where X is the ASCII character corresponding to that control character.

This way I don't lose any of the Tektronix 405x text formatting in the transfer.

I was using ExtraPutty on the laptop to capture the program text strings, then copied the statements into Notepad++ and saved each file.

I am still working on a Tektronix 4051/52/54 compatible GPIB MicroSD flash drive that will emulate the Tektronix 4924 tape drive - for all of us with these computers to use - since both the tapes and drives are very problematic after all these years.

This flash drive contains an Arduino with my code - based on the GPIB flowcharts and info in a 4051 and 4052 GPIB manual.

You will be able to use the existing 405x program statements with @Y for the drive GPIB address - since I don't know how to write a ROMPACK for any of the series

I plan to organize the different captured tapes in directories on the flash - and that may mean using a non-4924 GPIB secondary address for that command. It also likely means I need to change any tape commands in each program to use the flash drive GPIB address.

That's why I wanted to capture one of the Tektronix tapes with a menu - is to ensure I could get those files to work on my flash drive design.

Monty McGraw

Quote Originally Posted by oldcomputerexpert View Post
    I had to adjust the directory rights. They should download now.
    I have several manuals I would like to upload to Bitsavers. What are the requirements of the PDF's and other files, & how do I submit them? I have a pretty good scanner, I just want to get the best format possible.
    I scan my Tektronix documents in B&W @ 150dpi on a Canon MFP and use their MP Navigator software to create a PDF - which automatically also includes searchable text.

Al Kossow monitors this forum and has posted several of my scanned docs to bitsavers.

For the Files themselves I just created a github repository:

Tektronix-4051-4052-4054-Program-Files

and need to upload my latest serial transfer program and instructions for wiring the Tektronix 25 pin connector to the PC serial connector.

Monty

Quote Originally Posted by oldcomputerexpert View Post
    What are the requirements of the PDF's and other files, & how do I submit them?
    I prefer 400dpi minimum 600dpi prefered for B&W text, TIFF G4 encoded.
    Color is problematic, I've recently been using 300dpi with .png encoding, then letting Adobe Acrobat downconvert it during OCR.

If they are small enough, you can email them to me, otherwise, I can give you an ftp address to download them to or can download
    them from your choice of locations.
    Last edited by Al Kossow; June 21st, 2018 at 08:45 AM.