Image Map Image Map

Thread: iMac Weird Weird Issue

1. Default iMac Weird Weird Issue

X-Posted from a few places. Sorry.

Okay so the weirdest thing just happened on my 500Mhz Indigo iMac. Yesterday it was booting fine into OS9 and I was chugging along. Today I went to turn it on and now it's trying to boot OSX of some flavor and then stopping at /etc/master.passwd: No such file or directory
    sh-2.05a#

The only thing I did was open the door last night to check the RAM and what size the PRAM battery is, so I can get a replacement for that. I hold option when I boot and it's just showing Mac HD with an X icon on it. What did I miss???

Also, how does one make a bootable OS9 disc on Sierra? I assume it's not as easy as "Burn to Disc" in the finder.

I would suspect either failing capacitors causing the machine to misbehave or the hard drive is corrupt/failing.

The iMac G3 is known to get smokin hot due to having a hot vacuum tube inside and no fan. I used to have an iMac G3 Snow and the hard drive would get so hot that it would burn you if you touched it after the machine has been running for awhile.

Going with hard disk here. Caps have not historically been a problem for the early New World Power Macs IME (at least not yet).

If you have an .iso image of an OS 9 boot disc, then you can burn that on any computer. It's trying to make a boot disc from a System Folder that usually doesn't work out unless you know what you're doing.
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

iMac G3s are notorious for capacitor failure, especially the earlier models with the 233-350 MHz CPUs. They use garbage capacitors from CapXon, suscon and United Chemi-Con, coupled with being in a hot box with a CRT makes them fail even more rapidly.

sounds like bad installation media in my opinion. was the system loaded from an actual APPLE install cd or an iso from the internet?

6. Default

So I managed to fix it! I used Google-fu to find this article:

https://support.apple.com/kb/TA20809?locale=en_US

and it fixed it. The iMac is booting into Panther, so now I need to wipe the drive and load OS9 clean on it.