Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IBM luggable P70 - help with broken screen hinge and a couple other Q's

Quote Originally Posted by WBST View Post
    There were parts For Sale, I don't know if they still are:
    http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...+screen+hinges
    Go figure, after I finished modeling it! It came out really well, and I was surprised at the strength using PLA+ filament. IMG_1444 (Small).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by markgm View Post
    Go figure, after I finished modeling it! It came out really well, and I was surprised at the strength using PLA+ filament. IMG_1444 (Small).jpg
    Nice! Have you done the full install yet?

Well, the good thing with the other design is that hopefully they'll have a response about longer term durability, as well as an option for EU folks, considering international shipping these days.

I don't recommend using PLA for a structural component. If you don't anneal it, the internal stresses will eventually cause the part to crack and fail, usually along a sharp corner.

PETG or ABS are better for structural items.

Be kind to the retro world and put the file on Thingiverse so others can print it too.
    Crazy old guy with a basement full of Pentium 1 laptops and parts

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    I don't recommend using PLA for a structural component. If you don't anneal it, the internal stresses will eventually cause the part to crack and fail, usually along a sharp corner.

PETG or ABS are better for structural items.
    Yep, I still use PLA for prototyping, it took more tweaks to get this right than any other part I've replicated! I used ABS, and it came out better than I expected. I was able to make the hinge a bit thicker so it will hopefully last longer than the original.

Now to figure out why the power supply isn't outputting any voltage.

IMG_1459.jpgIMG_1460.jpgIMG_1484.jpgIMG_1487.jpgIMG_1488.jpgIMG_1489.jpgIMG_1490.jpg

How is it to print? Looks like the design needs minimal supports, so shouldn't be too bad.

Are you going to toss an stl up onto Thingiverse for those that want to print their own? Could probably make a few bucks selling prints, as well.

It printed well, though I made a few tweaks to it to eliminate the need for the majority of the part to have supports. I also tweaked it to make one of the two hinges a hair thicker since there is room for it. The original part has a few cutouts reduce weight and these aren't needed with a 3D printed part since it's possible to make the inside hollow. Not that weight is terribly important here; no one is carrying one of these around the airport! That said, the 3D printed part weighs less.

I won't be uploading it to Thingiverse at this time (I have a side hobby business selling prints of the designs I create), but I am happy to provide the file to anyone who wants it for personal use.

It printed well, though I made a few tweaks to it to eliminate the need for the majority of the part to have supports. I also tweaked it to make one of the two hinges a hair thicker since there is room for it. The original part has a few cutouts reduce weight and these aren't needed with a 3D printed part since it's possible to make the inside hollow. Not that weight is terribly important here; no one is carrying one of these around the airport! That said, the 3D printed part weighs less.

I won't be uploading it to Thingiverse at this time (I have a side hobby business selling prints of the designs I create), but I am happy to provide the file to anyone who wants it for personal use.
    Would love the file to print my own. Thank you, I appreciate it!

Thatís fantastic! Wonderful job! Definitely want to try it out on my P70.

Looks like someone is printing them and selling on eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-P70-P75...cAAOSwe-dfhLNq
    As far as memory count stopping try reseating the SIMMS. Could be a bad or dirty connection.
    *FrankG*