Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apple IIe transparent case

Interesting that the Mac case in the first pic seems to have an extended floppy slot to handle a 5 1/4" disk - but it's not the Twiggy Mac slot.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ScutBoy View Post
    Interesting that the Mac case in the first pic seems to have an extended floppy slot to handle a 5 1/4" disk - but it's not the Twiggy Mac slot.
    No, that's a production Mac slot. Take a look sometime. While the plastic case was retooled for the 3.5" drive, the inner metal frame was never reworked. It is still sized for a 5.25" drive. A cool bit of trivia.

You should make a clear case for the DISK II also.

Blog Entries

Back in the day, the guys in the model shop would make complete prototype cases from clear acrylic--usually 1/2" thick stuff machined on the Bridgeport vertical mill. Gentle 200" radius curves and all sorts of nice things. They'd leave a matte finish on the models so they would take paint.

The amount of skill involved to produce a dimensionally correct model was something that I always marveled at.

Quote Originally Posted by DFinnigan View Post
    Of course we should let him answer himself, but I will remark that it would require a custom ROM in the Macintosh as the .Sony driver will not operate a Disk II drive.
    I think it would be worse than that because you'd also have to make a boot disk or set of boot disks (may require more than a single 5 1/4 drive) that's why I asked. These days I don't put it past anyone to do something like that as I have seen some very cool hybrid stuff recently.

Quote Originally Posted by DFinnigan View Post
    No, that's a production Mac slot. Take a look sometime. While the plastic case was retooled for the 3.5" drive, the inner metal frame was never reworked. It is still sized for a 5.25" drive. A cool bit of trivia.
    If I look at a classic mac, the floppy slot ends in the middle of the screen. One the Mac case (minus logo) in the second pic, the slot extends to the left approx 3/4 of the way across the screen - consistent with a 5 1/4 disk. Look at the poster just above the case in the first shot, and you'll see what I mean.

I agree that the right side of the slot looks like the production Mac with the eject hole and the smaller cutout vs Twiggy. On that subject, I also note Twiggy Mac didn't have the eject button that Lisa Twiggys did.

I had read before about the frame being left unchanged after the decision to switch to 3 1/2 from 5 1/4. Call it the Macintosh "appendix"

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ScutBoy View Post
    If I look at a classic mac, the floppy slot ends in the middle of the screen. One the Mac case (minus logo) in the second pic, the slot extends to the left approx 3/4 of the way across the screen - consistent with a 5 1/4 disk.
    OK, we were talking about two different things. I was talking about the opening in the metal frame. You are talking about the opening in the plastic case.