Image Map Image Map

Thread: Thin Clients

Default Thin Clients

A few days ago i picked up a HP T5145 thin client, 500MHz, 512Mb ram and 128Mb DOM, 6 USB a parallel / serial and lan port. I had to open it up and have a look, It's spotless inside like new and not a mark on the outside.

On power up i saw it had HP thin connect installed, So wiped the DOM and installed DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11, In DOS and Dosshell i can access / see my USB flash drives and floppy drive, But for some reason in windows my floppy drive is not seen, I can access the flash drive in windows no problem.

It will probably end up running my old programmers, all in all i'm impressed so far, I like it's small size, I might even look for another with a bit more power later.

Malc

Blog Entries

Yup, those thin clients can be quite useful for running old gear. I've got a few Neoware (now HP) ones of various sizes. All have parallel, serial, network and USB--and VVIA CPUs. They run Windows XP and Linux/BSD. Mine are all 1GB SODIMM DDR2, with the exception of a CA10, which takes DDR and has a PCI slot. The 44 pin mini header can be adapted to CF or even IDE laptop drives. By and large, these go for cheap and are just the thing for running an old device programmer or serving as a small mailserver. A few models even have unpopulated header pads for SATA drives.

I'm guessing you found http://www.parkytowers.me.uk/

I built a small router out of one of these and so far it hasn't given me any trouble.
    Looking for: OMTI SMS Scientific Micro Systems 8610 or 8627 ESDI ISA drive controller, May also be branded Core HC, Please PM me if you want to part with one.

Blog Entries

Yup. Used them for years as music and mail/router and as a landline call blocker. Nice very low power stuff. Replaced an HP e-PC (800MHz P3) with one.

Currently using a headless Orange Pi PC for mail and music. Running with Armbian Ubuntu server. Considered using an OPi Zero, but those are somewhat quirky in my experience.

So the Neoware boxes are mostly sitting around unused right now. All were set up using 5 or 6GB Microdrives.

I found parkytowers while searching the model # of the one i have, An interesting site. I thought about getting a bigger DOM or converting to CF or even stuffing a 2.5" hard drive in there but then thought no, If i need more storage i'll use a flash drive, I'm glad i picked it up now, It cost me nothing, Unfortunately the guy i got it from had already tossed several other thin clients earlier because nobody wanted them.

Blog Entries

I've seen ebay auctions here offering the things by the 100-lot. They were used in quite a few large organizations.