Image Map Image Map

Thread: just bought Linux in a box

Default just bought Linux in a box

Red Hat 7.2. Cheap. I would imagine this was 40-60$ new. I don't know why I never got one of these boxed sets when they were current. The only Linux's I "bought" came with books or magazines. What's the difference in the end. I like it though. It's pretty. I have a batch of PMMX SBC's kicking around that I never did anything with. I'm thinking I may be able to bolt one to a cd drive (just happen to have a new Sony) and give RHL a go.

For what it's worth I also bought a magazine this week with Caine on DVD, a distro aimed at forensics. I don't recall if it's for penetration testing, it's not in front of me.

I can't see myself collecting older boxed Linux sets really. For some strange reason I also wanted a boxed Turbolinux. I think this may totally satisfy my craving though. I'm also contemplating getting the "newer" version of Beck's Linux Kernel Programming, based on kernel 2.4. I have the prior edition based on 2.0 I think, read some of that years ago. I don't recall it being put together terribly well, maybe because it's a translation (from German). Shouldn't have anything to do with it I don't think.

That reminds me, I've got a couple of collected Linux distros i boxes. I just looked and there's a Redhat 6.0 and Redhat 5.2 boxes. Somewhere there might be a single CD in a red sleeve which I remember being excited to get a few years earlier. I don't remember the version, but Redhat was giving them away for free. Or at least they were free at the UBC LUG in Vancouver.
    WANTED: Cardinal 2450MNP modem.

I bought two boxed sets back in the day: Red Hat 4.1, and Red Hat 5.2. I downloaded 4.2, and later 6.0, 6.1, and 6.2 and burned CD's from the iso files; I had a T1 connection available to me at that time, and it didn't take too long to download (one or two CD's was it). I remember purchasing a few CD sets from Cheapbytes, too.

I have a 6.2 box that was given to me by a friend, and then I still have some of the boxed sets that I received for being on Red Hat's Beta test team, starting with 7.0 and going up until the end of the Red Hat boxed set at Red Hat 9. (I have in my office the 7.1, 7.2, and 9 sets in their original boxes).

As to cost, that varied over the years and with the different architectures; looking at my 7.1 set right now, I see three editions listed: Standard, Deluxe, and Professional. Beta testers got 'Professional Server' for 7.1. All editions had the basics, including a printed Installation guide. The Deluxe edition added a printed Getting Started guide, as well as three additional non-free CDs: Workstation Applications, PowerTools, and Loki Games. The Professional edition added the following to the Deluxe: Server applications CD, Developer Module Archive CD, printed Customization guide, and printed Reference guide.

The extra CDs had some pretty cool and useful non-free (or non-open-source) packages, such as StarOffice (the commercial office suite that became OpenOffice and later LibreOffice), Novell's NDS eDirectory, Sun Forte with JDK, Borland's Jbuilder, Adobe Acrobat reader, IBM's JDK and JRE, Motorola's SM56 modem driver software, Yahoo Messenger, APC's PowerChutePlus for APC UPSs, Sophos SWEEP antimalware, Macromedia ColdFUsionExpress, among others. The PowerTools CD was mostly free or open-source software, what would later be called 'Extras.' Things like the Plan 9 window manager, and many others, too numerous to list here. These extra CDs were not downloadable.

As I recall, the Professional Server edition retailed for $149. Part of that was the 10-system Red Hat Network subscription for update delivery. If you bought the set at retail, you got 90-day Web and telephone support included (the beta-tester copies had a sticker on the box that says 'Evaluation Copy - No Support Included'). This is of course talking about commercial-grade support, which later became the basis for Red Hat's business model with their Enterprise Linux, and with which they have done very well. It was assumed that beta testers wouldn't need that level for support, I guess.

Last, but far from least, the Red Hat boxed sets always included a set of Red Hat Shadowman (R) logo stickers! Several small ones and one large one, which was designed to be stuck on a window from the inside (it was printed mirror-image). My 7.1 set includes everything but the Loki games CD, unless it got inside one of the manuals..... yeah, even a complete sticker set. The 7.2 set has a couple of stickers missing; they were designed to be stuck to you PC, and had the Shadowman (R) logo surrounded by the words 'Power By' and 'redhat' underneath.

I think I still have all of the CDs from the previous boxed sets, though, especially the Red Hat 5.2 set, which came in a nice cardboard trifold envelope. Again, the applications CD included things like StarOffice, which was far and away the most useful of the non-free applications.
    --
    Bughlt: Sckmud
    Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again!

My set came with 10 cd's, including the mini administrator's panic cd. I also have one of those that came with a book I bought, I think it's slackware, can't remember, and has the penguin . Loki, Star Office, 3 manuals, all lots of fun. I'll either install it on the Intel server I'm putting together, just to see, but probably makes more sense on the PMMX SBC. Or the old Asus eeePC 900a that's absolutely beat to snot, but still works I think.

Did some more digging. Found some official CDs, but no more boxes.

- Redhat 4.0 - 2 CD set.
    - Redhat 4.2 (Biltmore)
    Those are kind of run of the mill and not too interesting though.

- OpenLinux Desktop 2.4 Caldera
    A bit more interesting I think.

- Agnula DeMuDi Linux 1.2 - 2 CD set.
    That's defunct and probably only interesting to a very few.

- Slackware 4-CD set Linux 8.1
    Nice 4 CD jewel box but otherwise not spectacular.

- Linux Developer's Resource 4-CD jewel box set from InfoMagic
    Way more interesting, but probably available online if it's just the software that's wanted.
    It's from 1995. I'll type out the index on the back:
    - Complete Linux archives from tsx-111.mit.edu and sunsite.unc.deu
    - Complete GNU arecinve freom prep.ai.mit.edu
    - Kernel sources up to 1.2.1
    - Complete on-line documentation
    - DOOM (the game) for LINUX
    - Commercial Demos
    - Slackware 2.2 with kernel 1.2
    - XFree86 Version 3.1.1 (X-Windows)
    - Bogus Version 1.01
    - SLS 1.06 with kernel 1.1.50
    - Debian 0.91/3
    - JE Distribution and JF (Japanese FAQ's)
    - MCC version 1.0+
    The back goes on with these notes:
    On-line documentation includes the "Installation & Getting Started Guide' by Matt Welsh and the "Network Administrators (sic) Guide." Complete HOWTO docs on-line formatted for use with an included MicroSoft Windows Browser. All docs also provided in DOS & Postscript versions for printing.
    Complete LIVE filesystem! (uncompressed executables with matching compressed sources) All packages & utilities can be run directly from the CD (except for X-Windows). Slackware can be installed directly from the CD.

That's it for my vintage excavations tonight. Now back to IRC.
    WANTED: Cardinal 2450MNP modem.