Image Map Image Map

Thread: Model 2 restoration

1. Default Model 2 restoration

Hi guys.

As some of you may know, I finally found a model 2 and I am willing to design a new FreHD to work with it (and support usb flash drive, faster, etc..). At this point, I am restoring the poor thing. Keyboard foam already done, and as of just now, the model 2 is completely dismantled I have recapped the power supply and all boards, and I am considering recapping the video chassis. Issue is that the wires going to the tube are very hard to remove (from the coil), and I am worried to pull harder and break the fragile coil, so I may just leave the board "as-is" (sadly since everything else is now shiny). Anyone with experience here ?

Next step will be to re-assemble everything (without the dust and all the crap) and fix the floppy (I was told it doesn't work). Anything else to pay attention to (while it's all open) ?

Thanks

-Fred

Quote Originally Posted by veco View Post
    Hi guys.

As some of you may know, I finally found a model 2 and I am willing to design a new FreHD to work with it (and support usb flash drive, faster, etc..). At this point, I am restoring the poor thing. Keyboard foam already done, and as of just now, the model 2 is completely dismantled I have recapped the power supply and all boards, and I am considering recapping the video chassis. Issue is that the wires going to the tube are very hard to remove (from the coil), and I am worried to pull harder and break the fragile coil, so I may just leave the board "as-is" (sadly since everything else is now shiny). Anyone with experience here ?

Next step will be to re-assemble everything (without the dust and all the crap) and fix the floppy (I was told it doesn't work). Anything else to pay attention to (while it's all open) ?

Thanks

-Fred
    You can remove the CRT with the board still attached. It is still not ideal, but it should make it easier to re-cap the board. But, maybe wait until you see how well the screen looks. I have not yet found the need to recap a MII video board, although maybe it would help sharpen the video in a few of my machines.

Since you have it completely apart you should consider replacing the AC cooling fan with a newer DC unit. It will make your M2 much quieter. I have done this on one of my M2s where I also use a floppy emulator and it is difficult to know if the machine is on or not by just listening. Stock Model IIs are noisy beasts.

Looking forward to a FreHD II!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pski View Post
    Looking forward to a FreHD II!
    YES!

Mike

Looking forward to a new FreHD that works with the II/12/16/16B/6000.

Will this have the 50-pin Model III/4 interface like the current FreHD or will it be a full card that plugs into the backplane?

I'm excited to hear that there may be a FreHD II in the future! Add me to the list for at least one. Would you build and distribute it, or would you pass that task on to somebody like Ian?

Please pardon my ignorance, but I haven't advanced to hard drive usage on the Big Tandys yet. Did any of them support booting directly from a hard drive, or did they require boot floppy disks?

Quote Originally Posted by NF6X View Post
    I'm excited to hear that there may be a FreHD II in the future! Add me to the list for at least one. Would you build and distribute it, or would you pass that task on to somebody like Ian?

Please pardon my ignorance, but I haven't advanced to hard drive usage on the Big Tandys yet. Did any of them support booting directly from a hard drive, or did they require boot floppy disks?
    The 6000HD sure did, as it came with a hard drive already installed in one of the half-height floppy bays.

Hmm, now I'm imagining converting my 6000 project to a 6000FreHD, with a hard drive emulation hidden behind a trim panel in the second floppy drive bay. Might as well hide floppy drive emulation in there, too, with a switch to select either the real floppy drive or an emulated one for floppy booting.

Quote Originally Posted by NF6X View Post
    XENIX, TRSDOS-II/16, DosPLUS-II and I believe some of the CP/Ms could boot from the HD. LS-DOS could not.