Image Map Image Map

Thread: What type of DIN5 keyboard do I need for these PCs?

Default What type of DIN5 keyboard do I need for these PCs?

Good Day Everyone,

I picked up two PCs the other days that I know nothing about. Both are from early 90s I think. Both have VGA cards so I was able to connect them to a monitor but could not do much else since I don't have a keyboard for either. They both have DIN5 keyboard ports. I want to find a keyboard that will work with both machines. Question: how do I figure out if I need just any DIN5 keyboard or some particular type? I am attaching photos of each tower plus the boot messages.

Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images

They use AT keyboards, but you don't technically need an AT keyboard, you can just use an AT to PS/2 adapter and use a PS/2 keyboard.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/362020102610

One of those PCs looks like a 386, while the other is a Pentium 75. In the second picture, the one on the bottom is the 386, while the one on the top is the Pentium 75.

The 386 would be from the early 90s (BIOS states 1992) and the Pentium 75 is from around 1995 (again as the BIOS states.)
    Last edited by GiGaBiTe; June 9th, 2018 at 04:10 PM.

Blog Entries

Looks to be fairly generic 386 and Penitum PC clones so I would be very surprised if they do not work with a DIN 5 AT keyboard or a PS/2 keyboard attached through a DIN 5 adapter.

To be clear, 99.9% of the time you see a 5-pin DIN port for a keyboard it will be an AT keyboard port. The only time you're likely to see an XT port is on 8086/8088-era hardware. Technically there may be exceptions to this, such as the XT-286, but again this is rare. There are converters for XT<->AT keyboard ports as well, though these are active converters and made in small batches by people, so they can be expensive.
    More commonly known as "Yushatak" - www.yushatak.com
    Focused on 486 and Pentium Machines
    I collect All-In-One PCs and Keyboard PCs, especially Compaq.

Just use an AT to PS2 KB adapter. This is just an example :https://www.ebay.com/itm/PS2-PS-2-Mi...oAAOSw43hZ6Lfo

Thanks everyone. Just the info I needed!