Image Map Image Map

Thread: Hyundai Super-286E

Default Hyundai Super-286E

Picked up an ugly duckling, and in the process of tricking her out. While I am an enthusiast, I've not worked with this stuff in around 25 years. It would be great to chat about, and discuss my options. Wondering what I can do to max her out? I've already located some TMS4256-12NL to increase ram. Looking at what processor, and co-processor options I could put in next. Thinking of soundcard options, cf or module hdd options. Already did a retro bright on the bezel and melted the back on a small crack to keep it from spidering out of control. Sanding the body, going to fill some rust pits, and appliance epoxy it. Looking at getting another 512k on the Expert TopVGA 2300H card, to take it from 512k to 1MB. Yes, I know that allot of this is unnecessary. Just putting that out there in advance, before all the why questions. It falls in to the, because I like it, and want to category.

Thanks for any interest. Look forward to stimulating conversation about my current stupid obsession.

Blog Entries

Looks like a nice machine and it sounds like you're going all out to restore it, which is great. I look forward to seeing the results.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Welcome to the forum. Very nice system, Does it power on?

I didn't spot the CMOS battery in the pictures. Might be a Dallas chip in there, but if there is an old nicad barrel battery in there you want to remove it, and hope it hasn't leaked all over the motherboard.

Quote Originally Posted by dieymir View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Very nice system, Does it power on?
    hyundai-286-before-12.jpghyundai-286-before-10.jpghyundai-286-before-11.jpg

So it is a Dallas Chip. What do I need to do with that for the clock? Never had one like that before.

Blog Entries

You will need to cut into the Dallas chip and attach a replacement battery. http://mcamafia.de/mcapage0/dsrework.htm provides a description of one method. Double check that the Dallas chip you have matches the part number for the modification; Dallas did several different clock chips with batteries hidden inside and the attachment points for a new battery may differ.

Cutting into the plastic casing is necessary if the chip is soldered in place. A replacement chip might cost about $50 and will have been made more than 10 years ago so it isn't ideal even if the Dallas chip was given a socket.

Blog Entries

All of the above. Contact Glitch on this forum for expert guidance and recommendations.

Thanks for the tutorial. It is a DS1287. I'll mod it for a holder, that seems perfectly logical.