Image Map Image Map

Thread: correct fan for XT power supply, Astec AA12150

Default correct fan for XT power supply, Astec AA12150

I acquired a 5160 over the weekend, but in the past someone replaced the fan with a 12VDC and just spliced directly into one of the 5 volt lines from the power supply. What type of fan and where did it connect in normally? The only thing I see is a 2 pin connector that has nothing connected to it, but I measure 120VAC on that when powered on. Was the original fan that came with these unit one that operated on 120 AC?

If anyone is interested I do believe the very early units used power supplies with AC fans. I found a PAPST typ 8500N 115VAC fan and connected it up to the terminals and it seems to work great.

Blog Entries

Depends on the version. Early 5150/5160 US-only PSUs used a rather noisy 120VAC fan. Later and international ones used a DC fan.

The ball bearing fans were noisy buggers, The sleeve bearing fans were not so bad, My later model 5150 has a PAPST sleeve bearing AC fan and still relatively quiet as is a spare i have, My 5160 Schrack PSU's have either PAPST ball bearing AC fans or ETRI sleeve bearing AC Fans, The ETRI sleeve bearing fans are on par with my 5150 relatively quiet but the PAPST ball bearing fans are horribly noisy, They got replaced with 12VDC fans, I have a couple of other 5160 PSU's with DC fans somewhere but can't recall the manufacturer.

Blog Entries

One of the problems with small AC muffin fans is that the motor hub tends to be a lot larger than that of the DC fans. To make up for that, a rotor with more blades is used; the airspeed is higher, but the CFM rating is about the same for a comparably-sized DC fan. So they're noisier. Rotron, Papst...all seem to have that semi-musical whine that I find most annoying.

Funny, I just replaced a similar (really heavy for its size) 80MM AC fan from my kaypro 4. Added a much quieter 12VDC case fan.

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    Funny, I just replaced a similar (really heavy for its size) 80MM AC fan from my kaypro 4. Added a much quieter 12VDC case fan.
    Just curious, what exactly did you replace with? (will also post query on proper genre).

Quote Originally Posted by Formulator View Post
    Just curious, what exactly did you replace with? (will also post query on proper genre).
    just an off the shelf 3 wire 80mm Case fan (The original had direct wires interfacing to the 3 prong AC recepticle, which looked to be factory even though my other three kaypro model 4 had a DC 12 fan)