Image Map Image Map

Thread: apple II Plus keyboard encoder problem

Default apple II Plus keyboard encoder problem

So I dont know how I missed this but I guess I spoke too soon when I said I finally got my Apple II plus up and running. I just got my cffa3000 card in the mail and tried running it when I realized none of my shift keys were working at all. Now I did have to replace 3 alps key switches on this keyboard so I didnt know if the problem was mechanical or a bad IC on the encoder.
    Luckily someone just gave me another Apple II plus recently, and its keyboard is fine.
    I first tried the entire keyboard from the good apple II into the suspect machine. IT worked fine. I then swapped the encoder card from the good system to the suspect keyboard. The keyboard works fine! So I know its not the keys themselves, its something on the encoder board:IMG_20180611_134600778.jpg in the photo the top board is bad and the good one is on the bottom with a couple spots of whiteout (so I would know which is which)

you can see they are slightly different boards.. So what do I do? How do I repair this bad encoder board? Any tests I can run on it?

Thanks

There is a 74LS04 logic chip, I tested it and its good so thats not the culprit.

Blog Entries

How are they different? One has a GI AY-5-3600 encoder; the other has the SMC KR3600 clone.

You might want to drop a line to Sean to ask about his PIC replacement for the 3600

Thanks Chuck, I sent Sean an email.

ok this is weird. I swapped the 3600 IC's. No change! I put the suspect IC on the known good encoder board and the shift keys work. I put the known good 3600 IC on the suspect board and it still doesnt have shift keys. ITs got to be something else on that encoder board.

Blog Entries

Try replacing the 74LS00 at B3. See the schematic on PDF page 217 in Winston Gayler's book

Chuck tested both 74ls00, they are both OK.

Blog Entries

So, next question--is the KR3600 getting the right signal from the LS00? Should be pretty easy to tell.

How about the outputs (and jumpers) on pins 6-10 on the KR3600? This isn't rocket science.

well right after testing the 74ls00 logic chips I sockected them and cleaned the header pins from the encoder board. I decided to try the keyboard out again and its now working fine. So I dont know, dirty pin, bad solder joint. Cant tell but its working.