Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Repairing old versions of Windows?

Unless there is some special reason you want to preserve this installation such as not having all the drivers or there being a specific piece of software installed which you don't have the disk for and won't run by just copying the files across, I would just ditch it and reinstall.

In the Windows 9x era reinstalling was a fairly regular thing as it was the only surefire way to resolve certain issues. Trying to use various 'fix' tools often either did nothing, made the problem worse, or ended up taking longer than it would take to just reinstall. A clean reinstall with only the required drivers and software installed will often also speed up a system significantly.

Blog Entries

W98 along with DOS also needed defragged every few months to speed things up.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by cwathen View Post
    Unless there is some special reason you want to preserve this installation such as not having all the drivers or there being a specific piece of software installed which you don't have the disk for and won't run by just copying the files across, I would just ditch it and reinstall.

In the Windows 9x era reinstalling was a fairly regular thing as it was the only surefire way to resolve certain issues. Trying to use various 'fix' tools often either did nothing, made the problem worse, or ended up taking longer than it would take to just reinstall. A clean reinstall with only the required drivers and software installed will often also speed up a system significantly.
    That's the thing, I have no idea what's on the machine. I've never gotten it to boot to the desktop.

Blog Entries

If you're feeling adventurous, you might try slipping that HD into another machine and just sniff around to see if there's anything worth keeping. If you go this route, be sure that you set both HD parameters up correctly; i.e., Master/Slave, etc.

Or maybe put it in a hard drive enclosure (USB) and examine it from there.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen