Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repairing old versions of Windows?

Default Repairing old versions of Windows?

I know modern versions of Windows have methods of repairing an install that's gone wrong, but can you do anything similar with, say, Windows 98? I have a HP Vectra with a messed up W98 install that won't boot to the desktop and I have W98 install disks, and I'd rather avoid the long process of wiping the hard disk and reinstalling from scratch if I can.

Try System File Checker, SFC.EXE, maybe from Safe Mode.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Blog Entries

Going to Safe Mode requires the use of the F8 key and may require booting off a DOS disk to edit MSDOS.SYS to BootSafe= 1 if the system does not leave enough time to catch the F8 key.

It depends on what is wrong. If it is a driver issue, you might be able to boot in safe mode and remove drivers using device manager. If it is some DOS or Win3x software install, you might be able to edit win.ini/system.ini to remove .386 files.

The only provided way to "repair" Windows 9x is to re-run the Windows setup program and install on top of the messed up copy. However, in practice this can leave the system in a worse mess, although it might get to the desktop. Often drivers will revert to Microsoft defaults, shared application DLLs will revert to earlier versions, and thanks to "integration" it will revert Internet Explorer to the bundled version. So you will be left re-installing drivers and applications while hoping you don't miss anything.

Blog Entries

I'd probably start by creating a MSDOS 7.1 boot diskette and edit the MSDOS.SYS on the hard drive to set BootGUI to 0. Reboot from hard drive.

See here for details.

That would get you to a DOS boot on the hard drive and you could tinker from there. Just type "win" to start the GUI.

It's a lot easier to repair an Win9x installation than a Win2K, XP, Vista... one.

LOL... just reinstall. I have never ever had the windows repair disk actually work on any version of Windows with even the simplest problem.

Blog Entries

Have you changed any hardware? Did the machine work when you got it?

I would boot into safe mode and see if there are multiple drivers for the same hardware. If the video is the problem just uninstall the driver and reinstall after a reboot. If a program was installed and it screwed up windows you can try uninstalling it but are probably better off just wiping and installing again.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

I'm with Unknown_K on this one. It's been my experience that a 'hardware' change can cause major unintentional system problems if you don't treat the drivers with some TLC. You might try pulling all cards and attempt to boot with just the video, then proceed up the line (minimum configuration) .

If it's a problem with the registry you can try scanreg

scanreg /restore will restore an old copy of the registry

See these Microsoft pages:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ol-scanreg-exe

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...98-me-registry

NOTE: This tool was introduced with Windows 98 and it's not available on previous versions

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    Have you changed any hardware? Did the machine work when you got it?

I would boot into safe mode and see if there are multiple drivers for the same hardware. If the video is the problem just uninstall the driver and reinstall after a reboot. If a program was installed and it screwed up windows you can try uninstalling it but are probably better off just wiping and installing again.
    I haven't done anything to this machine except blow 15 pounds of dust out of it, it's been like this since I got it.