Image Map Image Map

Thread: model 1 text ripple

Question model 1 text ripple

This has probably come up before, but I never seem to find stuff when I search forums or google..

My model 1 level 2, 16k has a scrolling ripple to the text that varies from barely noticeable to fairly distorted. It's like there's just a shift in the pixels, but readable, making me thing RF distortion or something..
    Otherwise it's perfectly functional. I know it's never been abused since it's only had one owner, me.

So just wondering what causes this and if there's a fix?
    ///
    TRS-80: Model 1 w/IE, Model 4 w/128K, PC4
    Atari 800 and 800XL

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    This has probably come up before, but I never seem to find stuff when I search forums or google..

My model 1 level 2, 16k has a scrolling ripple to the text that varies from barely noticeable to fairly distorted. It's like there's just a shift in the pixels, but readable, making me thing RF distortion or something..
    Otherwise it's perfectly functional. I know it's never been abused since it's only had one owner, me.

So just wondering what causes this and if there's a fix?
    Every one I have seen does this to some extent. Bottom line is the video chain and monitor doesnt have the shielding, quality and even the bandwidth I think to make it better. There were some mods that help, one increased the signal strength. Another helped with the hash marks the CPU caused, and another is to improve the regulation of the power supply inside the display. I have not done any of these, but I do plan to with a test monitor just to see what happens.

check out the latest edition of TRS8BIT (from trs-80.org.uk). Ian Mavric & David Hainsworth sort out the M1 screen wiggle.