Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poison Ivy.... Oh god

Default Poison Ivy.... Oh god

IS anyone else afflicted by this horrible itchy torture? Back in 2012 I made the mistake of kneeling in a large patch of it on a beach (unbeknownst to me) because of that every year since If I am even next to a poison Ivy/oak plant I get it. even if its 90 degrees outside I need to suit up in several layers of clothes, full sleeved with layers of ivy block lotion slathered on just to mow my lawn.. which doesn't help much since I always get it. Im currently covered with it, and each spot itches so damned much. The doctor says its not really the plant anymore but my body "over-reacting to it" which gets worse every time I get it. As is it takes about two months for a patch of poison ivy to go away, of course in the meantime its spread to other places so I see no relief till the winter.

Unfortunately I live up in the mountains and we burn a lot of wood in the winter. I am way behind in my tree cutting because of this and any wood I fell in the past is probably already covered in new IVY growth.

Anyone in a similar situation with this?
    Last edited by VERAULT; June 12th, 2018 at 05:35 AM.

FWIW, if you burn poison ivy you run the risk of getting it all over you, even in places where the skin isn't exposed. It can be much worse than if you had just touched it.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

I got Poison Ivy so bad I wanted to die. I had about 50% of my body and I went to the hospital and they gave me a shot but it still took over a month to get over it. I even had to take time off of work because of it. Now I get it all the time but when a rash anywhere on me I do what the hospital told me to do.

I feel sorry for you and hope clear up soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    FWIW, if you burn poison ivy you run the risk of getting it all over you, even in places where the skin isn't exposed. It can be much worse than if you had just touched it.
    yes, you can inhale it and affect your lungs as well. Its the perfect bio defence weapon.

JMDLCAR, what did the hospital tell you to do?

I had to be hospitalized because of it too, raised heartrate and they put me on a nebulizer as I had trouble breathing. That was that first year I got it real bad.

Blog Entries

No poison ivy here, but the somewhat more vicious poison oak. I get a mild case every year, due to its prevalence. (It loves sunny spots and it's not unusual to see it climbing a tree 50 ft. up.)

Many of the loggers swear by Tecnu, but I've never found it to be any better than washing with dishwashing detergent.

Severe cases may mandate taking antihistamines. Hydrocortisone never did anything for me, but calamine lotion does help a bit. What works long term is scrubbing with a brush and soap or detergent every day--eventually the oil (urushiol) in your epidermis will wear off.

Mostly, I start each spring when the PO leafs out, but before it blooms with my backpack sprayer. I hit the stuff with a mixture of glyphosate and 2,4-D to kill it before it can propagate. Stuff that gets too high to spray gets cut off at the ground. Whatever you do, don't burn the stuff--if the smoke gets into your bronchial tree, you'll be ER-bound. Don't chip it or put it into compost piles either. Cut it and leave it to rot.

Like yellowjacket wasps and ticks, it's part of living out here. At least we don't have fire ants.
    Last edited by Chuck(G); June 12th, 2018 at 06:15 AM.

I have tecnu, but I honestly dont know if it helps. I have a feeling that the urushiol might be remaining in my outdoor/work clothes even after a vigorous wash. Yes we have the creeping PO climbing the trees. I try to pull off or cut the thin new vines, but the thick 2" or more vines are a problem especially when I am chainsawing. This winter was particularly brutal. I have a 900+ ft driveway and a few trees fell across it during a blizzard. Even though it was the dead of winter one of the trees had a thick poison IVY vine on it. Low and behold while cutting it up I got my first case of poison ivy in the winter.

As my doctor explained it, histamines are not an issue. Your body is having an auto-immune reaction attacking itself thinking the thread is far greater than it really is.
    At this point I only got to the doctor is i have a really really bad seeping patch or it covers most of my body. Reason being they prescribe steroids and I dont want my body to get used to that.

Speaking of the horrible nature of the US health insurance situation; I used to work for a major hospital. I got decent (yeah just decent) medical coverage. I would get this yellow and white labeled metal tube of topical steroids. I believe it was called clobetosol. I would pay the $10 or $15 dollar copay .. maybe less and it worked like a charm for healing your skin. Cut the healing time by 75%

Anyway, I try to get that now.. and even after insurance the small 1/2 oz tube would cost me $400.00 each! Can you believe that? But the much stronger pill form of steroids is just a few dollars! So I cant afford that and I suffer. ITs a shame because I know it works. I really dont know why this isnt over the counter. who the heck is abusing topical steroid cream?... Ahh this country... maybe time for another,,. when I was a kid rant.

After they gave me the shot I went home and use a lot of calamine lotion and the hospital said don't hot or warm shower because it won't clear up so I took a lot of cold shower.

I forgot to say in my last message I had poison ivy in my eyes too.

Blog Entries

Drug companies have been abusing the system for years.

When I had cataract surgery, my Medicare co-pay for a 5 ml dropper bottle of prednisolone was quoted at $168. My reaction was "Whatthehell? This stuff has been around almost as long as penicillin". I did some shopping and found I could reduce the non-medicare subsidized price to $25 total. Still too high in my opinion, but a heckuva lot better than the co-pay. The odd thing was that a 5 ml bottle of ophthalmic ciprofloxacin was $9.

For cutting large PO vines, I have a set of compound loppers as well a folding pruning saw. I'd never consider cutting a vine with a chainsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmdlcar View Post
    After they gave me the shot I went home and use a lot of calamine lotion and the hospital said don't hot or warm shower because it won't clear up so I took a lot of cold shower.

I forgot to say in my last message I had poison ivy in my eyes too.
    jeez I take a ton of really hot showers because its the only thing that makes my skin stop "crawling"