Image Map Image Map

Thread: The passing of Syd Bolton

Blog Entries

Default The passing of Syd Bolton

I was very upset to learn yesterday of the passing of Syd Bolton, after a hospital stay. Syd was an early collector and exhibitor of personal computers and game consoles, had them in a public space he opened up free of charge where they could be used, and a positive activist for our community. He had what many believe to be the largest collection of personal computers, consoles, games, and software in Canada.

A fundraiser to help support Syd's family during this difficult time is here: https://www.gofundme.com/bqp6h-friends-helping-friends
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

the PC Museume in Brantford?

wow, I was there in September (of 2017 of course), he complimented me on my Sony Mavica (floppy disc camera) I brought with me, when I went to visit.

Glad I got to meet and talk to him, although briefly at least once.

I'm not sure, is this totally sudden and random, or has he been having serious health problems for some time?

Either way, he was still young, and this sucks big time.

This is just one of the many photos I took, but I think it's the best to put here, as it is the front of the back building on his property, that the museum is located inside:

Last edited by ScanDisk; June 12th, 2018 at 10:45 AM.
    My Packard Bell has never given me any problems which were it's fault, the Packard Haters can stuff it! :

Damn, sorry to hear this. I met Syd at a museum day when I was temporarily living in the area in ~2012. Definitely one of those guys who had big visions and the big personality to see them through. Hopefully somebody can step in to carry on the museum and keep up the work he started. I understand there were quite a few volunteers helping him out with the place.

I donated a PS/2 Model 30/286 to the museum when I was clearing stuff out at the time and had no space for it. It never appeared on the collection pages unfortunately, so I don't know what happened to it... If anyone's seen it there, I'd love to know.

Blog Entries

I'm a bit late here.. I had seen the PCMuseum had closed indefinitely in June (according to their website), but I had not seen the reason why until now. I thought they had hit financial trouble (not atypical with museums) or health issues. I did not realize Syd had passed. That is truly sad.

I've been through a major health crisis myself several years ago, so mortality is definitely front and center with me. Syd was only a few years older than I am. It's a bit unnerving.

Hopefully his family is supported and getting through it. He left quite a legacy.

I too was shocked to hear about this. I was there a couple times in 2009 and talked with him a bit. He seemed to be a nice guy.

Has anyone heard an update about what's going to happen to the museum? It had a lot of volunteer support but AFAIK Syd himself was really the driving force behind it (not to mention it was in an outbuilding on his/his family's home lot.) I'm really hoping there's enough support it can keep running.

Blog Entries

I was curious about that too... from what I've read the family is in pretty serious financial distress. Syd was the primary earner in the family. They have a gofundme account going. It might be hard to maintain a museum amid all that, unless a decently pocketed donor steps forward. Sounds like they have a ton of volunteers anyway.

I'm curious about what all he had. He's been quoted saying he had 1000 computer systems, but I'm curious how many are unique. There was an off the cuff remark in one video about having something like 80 Commodore 64s. The family could maybe sell off some of the duplicates if there are lots and buy time if that's the case.

Very sad. This is why life insurance should be mandatory when you have a family that depends on you.

Hopefully the museum pieces will find new homes. They can sell part of the collection of course. I would not blame them.

Blog Entries

I read somewhere that much of it will go to a museum/institution, but I don't recall the source. The collection certainly won't be discarded, if that's what people were wondering.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)