Image Map Image Map

Thread: Pdp-8/l

Default Pdp-8/l

Just acquired a PDP-8/L. While I do collect vintage computers (80's era), this unit predates my expertise and I'm not sure I have the time to tinker with it.
    IMG_1355.jpg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nosnhojm View Post
    Just acquired a PDP-8/L. While I do collect vintage computers (80's era), this unit predates my expertise and I'm not sure I have the time to tinker with it.
    IMG_1355.jpg
    So where are you located and what do you want to so with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    So where are you located and what do you want to so with it?
    I'm in Minnesota. I'm thinking of selling it, but not sure yet. I need to open it up and take a look at the condition when I get time.

This one looks familiar to me - sold (or not) on e-bay a while ago if I remember correctly.

Dave

The owner said he got it from a friend (discarded from the friend's employer). There doesn't seem to be any labels on the device that indicate which employer that would have been. I took some more photos today.

4I1A5277.jpg
    4I1A5280.jpg
    4I1A5285.jpg
    4I1A5283.jpg
    4I1A5272.jpg
    4I1A5296.jpg
    4I1A5279.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Nosnhojm View Post
    I'm in Minnesota. I'm thinking of selling it, but not sure yet. I need to open it up and take a look at the condition when I get time.
    I am also in MN, and would be interested if you decide not to keep it. I have a good friend who is a former DEC guy who would love to help me get this guy "back on the road"!

The board compliment in the 8/L at the RICM looks different from yours. http://www.ricomputermuseum.org/Home/equipment/pdp-8-l

Don't power it up until you reform the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply.
    Don't connect the power supply to the backplane until you know that it is regulating correctly.
    Member of the Rhode Island Computer Museum
    http://www.ricomputermuseum.org

8. Default

Looks to be in a quite good shape. What does the cable hanging out on the back connects to?

You will need a connector board for connecting the serial console. It has only a current loop interface @ 110 baud.

Quote Originally Posted by m_thompson View Post
    Don't power it up until you reform the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply.
    Don't connect the power supply to the backplane until you know that it is regulating correctly.
    What Michael wrote is important!