Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need some extra brains on this one.

Blog Entries

Already done--both CPU and RAM swapped with another known-working system. No difference.

Ideas:

Use post diagnostic card, to find out where it gets to, then investigate that. Downside, is I always seem to get an unlisted POST code.

Try to work out if the error is caused in the system BIOS, or an option BIOS. I'm wondering If the SATA are presented as AHCI, so you get the SCSI-style BIOS. I have one board that has two SATA BIOS options one is for Adaptec hostRAID, the other regular AHCI SATA. The hostRAID locks up. Perhaps if you can get the BIOS to think it has regular old IDE, it will narrow down the issue.

In fact, if you can disable basically everything on the motherboard, it might shed some light. Also found "USB storage function" option can cause problems sometimes. May be worth disabling USB completely. Details:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...gigabyte-guide

I'd go about trying to disable everything you can. Could be something like a marginal board temp sensor, when it's initialized the BIOS gets back a high value then it panics. Though at this point, you may find the problem but have no reasonable way of fixing it. I've got an ASUS board that just will not boot to a SCSI controller. BIOS upgrades, settings, different controllers, just gave up after a while and used something else.
    Looking for: OMTI SMS Scientific Micro Systems 8610 or 8627 ESDI ISA drive controller, May also be branded Core HC, Please PM me if you want to part with one.

The board reboots "5 or 10 times" before it starts trying to load the an OS? It is not a consistent number?

I'd try going in to the BIOS and disabling every possible option that wouldn't prevent it from booting at all - not just setting defaults. I see you already tried bumping down the CPU speed. Perhaps try with a video card rather than the built-in video.

I'd also double check that the exact model of CPU is officially supported by that motherboard and BIOS. Most motherboard vendors are fairly specific about that.

Edit: Of course someone else just posted almost the exact same thing.

Blog Entries

Nope, the number's not consistent--anywhere from 3 to about 15 times.

The board definitely does support the CPU--in fact, it'll support the FX series as well. I'll try the video and then revisit the PSU issue--it could be that the external PSU that I tried was weak in the 12V line.

Possibly noise in the PG line ?, I know you swapped PSU's but just a thought.

Blog Entries

Tried an add-in PCIe video card, yet a third PSU--no change in behavior. I'm utterly bedaferated.

I suspect that this may be a thermal issue, but I'll be darned if I know what to do about it. Funny--the motherboard is prominently billed by Gigabyte as "Ultra Durable".

Well, it's more of an annoyance, this being a backup system--and it boots eventually. This is Linux not Windows, so frequent restarts aren't something that's routinely done. I can always replace the motherboard.

Gigabyte mobos used to be pretty good.

I have had this problem A few times and
    it was always bad caps around the CPU..
    Never Bin or sell your old computer's you will regret it!!
    Vic 20 x3,C64 x2,128D,C128 flat deck,A1000 x2,A500 x3,A2000,A600,A1200,Apple ][e,2x Apple][ GS rom 01,03,Apple ][c x4 with only 1 PSU,2x Laser 128EX EX2,Atari 600XL,2x 800XL,130XE w/320 mod With a MyIDE plus,Atari 1040stf w/2.5meg..

Blog Entries

Could be. If it is caps, it's a bit surprising, since the board sat on a shelf for about 5 or 6 years before being used. At any rate, it's not worth refurbing the thing--there are probably hundreds of similar boards out there in the used market.

Time to put this project away for a rainy day, which probably isn't going to happen until October...

Blog Entries

Am3+ motherboards should be in the solid capacitor era and I have not heard any major issues with those.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    Am3+ motherboards should be in the solid capacitor era and I have not heard any major issues with those.
    The caps certainly look like they're the solid-electrolyte variety. But maybe those go bad as well.