Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Got my first power supply zap!

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    28,578
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default

    My first recollection of getting a really good zap was while working on a rack-mounted transmitter (813s in the final). I was standing on a concrete floor with probably not-good-enough shoes. I was observing the "one hand in a back pocket" protocol but still got zapped by the high-current 2KV. My right arm convulsed violently and slammed my elbow into the cinder block wall behind me. I think I nearly fainted from the pain.
    Last edited by Chuck(G); June 14th, 2018 at 05:13 PM.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Albany, OR USA
    Posts
    849
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    My favorite ZAP came from my Uncle Bob's lawn mower spark plug when I was maybe ten years old. The motor had a little piece of sheet metal that was to be pushed against the spark plug to stop the motor. Well, I think I missed and touched the bare spark plug terminal instead. OUCH!! From then on I used a DRY stick to push that thing over. Or just let it run out of gas!!

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    3,388
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I just realized I have two burns on my finger where the legs of the cap I touched got me. Still kinda hurts days later.

    I'm still amazed I had the courage to build my TVT power supply.. I was sure that thing would zap me somehow!

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Freedom City
    Posts
    6,169
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Wait till you get your first RF burn. ��

  5. #15

    Default

    My nastiest shock was from a tube Racal receiver. I was tuning the high frequency IF. You are suppose to use an orange wood stick but the caps would just destroy the wood so I use a metal screw driver. I'd forgotten that the last cap in the string was tied directly to the plate of the input tube ( someplace around 375-400v someplace ). I was leaning on the chassis. When I touched the cap with the screw driver I through the screw driver ( about 8 inches long ) into the wall behind me ( sheet rock ) up to the handle with a nice clean round hole. About ten minutes later, I almost went into shock. I used the fold you arms into your stomach and bend over trick. In about another 15 minutes I was fine.
    Dwight

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    28,578
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default

    Some folks can recall getting shocked by batteries. Anyone remember the old Graflex Stroboflash photo flash units--and the box-o-batteries that you had to lug around with them? If memory serves, they were two 225V units hooked in series (450V). Between the capacitors and the batteries, there were enough joules in that combination to be lethal. I think some of the smaller Honeywell Strobonar units used a 510V battery. Not something you'd want to go swimming with.

    Between tube gear and stuff like the Stroboflash, high voltage with substantial current was far more prevalent in daily life than it is today.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Freedom City
    Posts
    6,169
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    If electric cars don't bring down our grid, it will be again someday.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •