Image Map Image Map

Thread: Comment trolls on my blog

Blog Entries

Default Comment trolls on my blog

I have a Wordpress blog where I recount my activities with things like my TVT project. Anyway, when it started getting popular I started getting tons of bogus comments (which never appear, since my blog is set for all comments to be moderated first). This resulted in tens of thousands of un-released comments. To stanch the flow, I got that google recaptcha thing which you have to click a checkbox on to proceed. However, a few enterprising dirtbags are still getting by it. Only a couple a week now compared to dozens a day, but still. I want no quarter for these people. I'm wondering if I'm fighting hired humans here? Or if bots have a way of clicking the checkbox?

Are you using the Akismet plugin? If not... hook it up.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    I have a Wordpress blog where I recount my activities with things like my TVT project. Anyway, when it started getting popular I started getting tons of bogus comments (which never appear, since my blog is set for all comments to be moderated first). This resulted in tens of thousands of un-released comments. To stanch the flow, I got that google recaptcha thing which you have to click a checkbox on to proceed. However, a few enterprising dirtbags are still getting by it. Only a couple a week now compared to dozens a day, but still. I want no quarter for these people. I'm wondering if I'm fighting hired humans here? Or if bots have a way of clicking the checkbox?
    I've managed a number of wordpress blogs. You can set comments to moderation for the first submission only. That way you don't need to moderate all of them as it's uncommon for commenters to first make a relevant or appropriate comment before spamming. That has worked almost perfectly for me over quite a few years. But yes @Stone's suggestion is a given these days if you haven't done it already. After that, if you're still getting spam, then your server or installation is compromised. That, by the way, is quite common. The only acceptable solution is to reinstall from scratch because the compromising code can be very well hidden and difficult or impossible to find.
    WANTED: Cardinal 2450MNP modem.