Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Anyone else find Pinterest a really creepy sketchy site?

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post

The credit union is silly only because they won't let me use their Android app because my phone is rooted.
    Does it check when it installs, or at runtime? When I used to have a rooted tablet I sometimes ran into the former. There's an app that will temporarily unroot the device, I forgot its name but it works together with supersu. So, unroot, install, re-root. That usually worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    Yeah, DuckDuckGo works very well these days. There's not a lot of reason not to use it in most cases.
    DuckDuckGo is very nice indeed. I have one issue with it, regrettably... there are some sites you just won't find in DDG result pages. Its indexing doesn't seem very extensive, and small personal sites are especially difficult to come across, if they show up at all. If it's only going to direct you to the big, conspicuous domains which already have a lot of traffic and are therefore more visible (and more likely to feature ads, tracking and so on), then it unfortunately falls short of its promise.

My own site, for instance, isn't indexed there except for a single page which is more popularly referenced. And I'm not the only person with this problem - see https://r3bl.blog/en/exploring-duckd...ller-websites/. They don't offer a way of submitting your own site for indexing; as the author of that page found out, in order for DDG to pick it up you need to submit your site to... Yandex.

I'll probably do that anyway. Chiefly because I want to add a search-box to my site, one which isn't Powered By Google (because I'd like to respect my visitors), and I don't use dynamic content generation. But that's still a flaw that DDG will have to correct somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Tor View Post
    Does it check when it installs, or at runtime? When I used to have a rooted tablet I sometimes ran into the former. There's an app that will temporarily unroot the device, I forgot its name but it works together with supersu. So, unroot, install, re-root. That usually worked for me.
    It does it at runtime. Fortunately I don't really need it, so I just don't use it anymore.