Image Map Image Map

Thread: Needham's EMP-20 Device Programmer

Default Needham's EMP-20 Device Programmer

I have acquired a new/old addition to my collection of device programmers, A Needham's EMP-20, Anyone know what the last revision of the DOS software for this programmer was ?, I looked on the Needham's site but could not find anything for the EMP-20, I did however find a website with info and rev 4.18 of the DOS Software.

Also the PSU is 120v as i had it shipped over from the USA, The output is 12VAC 2A, From the info i can find, A 15VDC 3A is also suitable, I went digging in my boxes of adapters and found a 15VDC 3.5A with center pin positive, As the original PSU Outputs AC the polarity won't be an issue or will it for this programmer ?.

Thanks
    Malc

EDIT: Never mind, Tested and seem's to be working fine.
    Last edited by Malc; June 14th, 2018 at 01:09 PM.

Hi.
    I wanted to ask about the EMP 20 recorder. I bought a used unit. My unit does not have the parallel cable.
    Is the cable the standard used with the printer?
    regards

Yes, a standard LPT cable will work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Franchute13 View Post
    Hi.
    I wanted to ask about the EMP 20 recorder. I bought a used unit. My unit does not have the parallel cable.
    Is the cable the standard used with the printer?
    regards

Thk!

Just noticed this thread. We have an EMP20 still in near daily use at work, I'll take a look and see what version of DOS software ours is (We run it through a DOS window on a Win98SE machine, works fine).

The thing with the EMP20 is to make sure you get as many of the 'personality modules' which fit into the SIL socket beside the DIP ZIF socket as you can with the programmer - useless without them.

Mine came with 7 'personality modules' and V3 software on floppy, I'm using V4.18 i found on the net and use an old thin client running DOS 6.22 to run my old programmers, all good.

Using AC for the power supply, depends on the circuit inside. If they derive a + and - level from the AC, a DC input won't work. It all depends on how the circuit inside works. If it is rectified to a single DC voltage that is used to create all the other internal voltages, you can most likely use a DC wall wort.
    Dwight

Yup, I'm using an old laptop PSU 15VDC 3A works fine with the one i have.
    Last edited by Malc; July 27th, 2018 at 11:23 PM.