Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are modern Macs in a sad state?

It is all subjective anyway, depends what you do with it, and what you like. Unless you are doing gaming or some sort of high level graphic design I think most macs currently available are fine. I also dabbled with hackintishes, the hardware is cheap but the cost in time is quite big, and not very good when I spend 50+ hours a week using a machine, have to be confident it will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey986 View Post
    I think one reason they don’t update anything but the “professional” stuff often is that Mac hardware lasts longer than PC hardware from a software usability perspective.
    What's the point of long term support software when the underlying hardware is garbage. Apple has had horrific design flaws, intentional crippling of hardware and hardware level sabotage since the original 1984 mac. folklore.org has lots of great information about how Steve Jobs intentionally sabotaged the designs of the Mac under his tenure and how the engineers tried to secretly get around it. Today is a different story, Apple just wants to maintain their 90%+ profit margins at all costs.

Macbooks after the 2012 model started to integrate the RAM and SSD onto the motherboard, glue in the battery, and as a final "**** you" to the customer, riveted in the keyboard to the case. Macbooks are designed to be $2000 throwaway items, Apple doesn't want you to be able to fix your machine and has done everything in their power to prevent it. Like using ICE to raid 3rd party repair shops under the guise of selling counterfeit goods and seizing shipments of parts in customs to have them destroyed.

Apple is one of the most anti-consumer companies in the world, and it's bizarre how people have a Stockholm syndrome relationship with such a toxic company.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey986 View Post
    I think one reason they don’t update anything but the “professional” stuff often is that Mac hardware lasts longer than PC hardware from a software usability perspective.

I have a mid 27” 2010 iMac i7 with 16gb of ram. Yes I did upgrade to a 1TB SSD but other than that and a periodic clean out of dust inside it’s still going strong with the latest OS. If I tried that with an 8 year old PC it would be unusable.
    I'm using an 8 year old PC with a 250GB SSD, 500GB HHD, 1TB HDD, 8GB ram, 2GB GPU, 3.5GHZ AMD Athlon x4. I could probably get another 5 years out of it lol.

Blog Entries

I think PC hardware last longer with respect to application software and OS support. Apple seems to kill off systems sooner then the PC side.

Anything that supports x64/8gb+ of RAM and has 4+ cores will be usable for a long time on the PC side of things (might need a GPU upgrade).
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    Anything that supports x64/8gb+ of RAM and has 4+ cores will be usable for a long time on the PC side of things (might need a GPU upgrade).
    If all you need a PC for is internet browsing and office work, a dual core or fast single core can still be good for this task. I have customers with Core 2 Duo machines and they're still fine with them.

Blog Entries

If all you want to do is get email and browse, you could probably get by with an RPi. Many people use only their smartphones.

Blog Entries

Even my cheap smartphone is dual core, better ones are quad.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    Apple is one of the most anti-consumer companies in the world, and it's bizarre how people have a Stockholm syndrome relationship with such a toxic company.
    I had that attitude until I bought an iPhone three years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by paul View Post
    I had that attitude until I bought an iPhone three years ago.
    You buying an iphone doesn't change that fact, I don't really get your point.

Blog Entries

Apple computers this day are just expensive X86 boxes packed on a shiny chassis.
    Most people purchase them for the "status" of having a mac, is like it make you smarter just by having it.
    Also the quality of the hardware is bad, they fail fast and servicing the hardware is expensive.