Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How do I install CTMOUSE on a dos 6.22 system?

You'd be surprised.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    You'd be surprised.
    These days with people swimming both the Pacific and the Atlantic, let alone rowing it, perhaps I shouldn't be.
    WANTED: Cardinal 2450MNP modem.

Quote Originally Posted by computerdude92 View Post
    Gateway 486 with a new fresh install of DOS 6.22. I run the ctmouse.exe from the floppy and it says:
    Is there no hard drive in that? If so, and if it was me, I'd put my drivers in their own directory. Though I understand you're just testing now.

Also, perhaps using a PS/2 mouse isn't the best idea. I assume that computer has a serial port, in which case perhaps try a serial mouse. If you don't have one of those, shipping from where I live is probably under $10 - so there's that possibility too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    Is there no hard drive in that? If so, and if it was me, I'd put my drivers in their own directory. Though I understand you're just testing now.

Also, perhaps using a PS/2 mouse isn't the best idea. I assume that computer has a serial port, in which case perhaps try a serial mouse. If you don't have one of those, shipping from where I live is probably under $10 - so there's that possibility too.
    Yes it has a hard drive. I'm just trying to load the files from the floppy. Why put them in a directory when they are already on the floppy disk? Can't I just install them from it? I guess i'm just used to how you would install stuff on modern computers... The system has PS/2 ports, so I want to use those first. It also has two serial ports.
    Last edited by computerdude92; June 19th, 2018 at 07:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by computerdude92 View Post
    Yes it has a hard drive. I'm just trying to load the files from the floppy. Why put them in a directory when they are already on the floppy disk? Can't I just install them from it? I guess i'm just used to how you would install stuff on modern computers... The system has PS/2 ports, so I want to use those first. It also has two serial ports.
    When you run the driver it "installs" to memory. All that automatic stuff where a program actually writes to your hard drive is a newer thing. I personally frown on it. Nobody, except me, writes to my HDD. In any case, it's fine to run it from your floppy but you will have to do that every time. If you want to have it readily available, you can put it on your hard drive with other programs that you would like to have handy. Furthermore, you can then put it in your autoexec.bat so it will automatically load when you start your computer.

As for using PS/2 ports, that fine. I was just thinking that the more "retro" way may be cool. Besides, if it works with the motherboard and drivers you have, it would be good.