Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Installation of MacOS on non-apple (firwmare) HDD - Mac IIcx

Does the hard disk have the little terminator resistor packs in place? Depending on the brand, they are usually three socketed devices right near the SCSI connector. It’s conceivable that an unterminatwd drive may work without termination in a LC, where the SCSI cable is very short, but fail to operate in a Mac IIcx, with its longer SCSI cable.

I’ve always been a fan of “Silver Lining” for formatting third party disks, It does deep testing of the drive and will often identify potential problems before it even mounts the new disk.

Yes it has. I even swapped them from original dead drive.
    As for disks - there are 6.0.8 and 7.0.1 images in 'normal' format (that can be written via winimage) on one site that I used successfully on LC and SE. This needs to wait a bit as my last floppy died, and I'll take a full box with me next time I'll go home (trying to debug this with just one floppy was a nightmare ).

Tried again with generic 7.5 floppies and nothing. While disk is on SCSI ID > 0 it's autodetected using bootdisk, on 0 I need to enter LIDO/SC Setup and mount it by hand.
    I really need another drive to try.

Did you use the StartUp Disk control panel to select the HD? If it's set to boot from a floppy, that's where it'll look first. If the boot floppy is left in the drive, the Mac will boot from it and not the HD.

OTOH, if no floppy is inserted, eventually it will look for other bootable media, but you'll see the flashing disk? icon quite awhile before it tries other available drives.

Your HD does have to mount/appear on the desktop to boot from it. Maybe it's just too slow to show up in time?
    -Ed

Blinking floppy with "?" is all I get. As mentioned before, on SCSI ID 0 when booted from floppy, drive is not auto mounted (will not show on desktop until "Update" button is used on SC Setup / Lido). On >= 1 it is auto displayed on desktop.
    Drive works every time and on every SCSI ID on LC.

This may be capacitor related, as I got board out and near all capacitors I got this bad residue. IPA cleaning changed nothing, but that was expected without replacing them. I'm going to recap IIcx, LC and Plus soon, so maybe this changes something. I just realized that SE have working apple-branded drive in it, so will try this too when I'll visit parents house (as I don't have place to store finished projects close at hand )

And all the time I'm looking for another SCSI drive on local market / auctions without luck.

Found this blog: http://vintagemacmuseum.com/formatti...c-scsi-drives/ about the same problem as you. Besides using HD SC Setup, he had to use an active terminator for the drive he chose and try a second SCSI cable.

I have some old scsi drives but just the shipping to Poland would run $36 and take almost a month to arrive.

-Ed