Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Need some help with a rare Compaq system

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    I probably missed something here, but what's wrong with using CF?
    Yeah, you missed my post where I said to make an image of the existing drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    I probably missed something here, but what's wrong with using CF?
    Well how else am I supposed to make an image of the drive? I have an IDE to CF adapter and a 4GB card but I don't know how else I'd get an image of the original drive to restore to the CF card.

Quote Originally Posted by itsvince725 View Post
    Well how else am I supposed to make an image of the drive? I have an IDE to CF adapter and a 4GB card but I don't know how else I'd get an image of the original drive to restore to the CF card.
    You can make an image of the drive while it's still in the machine using Partition Magic, though that assumes you can connect another drive to the machine. You can always remove the CD-ROM drive temporarily.

https://winworldpc.com/product/partitionmagic/4x

An IDE2USB adapter might not work on such an old drive, I have three of them from different manufacturers and it's always a crapshoot if an old drive works with any of them.

If the drive doesn't work on a USB adapter, you'll need to use a machine with an IDE controller.

In the meantime I'm trying to get the bloat down, but even after deleting everything obvious that I could do without I still only have 222MB free. Is there something I'm missing?

Windows 95 shouldn't even come close to filling a 1.8 GB drive.

The only things I can think of that are eating space is that either there's a huge swapfile (pagefile.sys), or there are OEM partitions on the disk.

There's an OEM diagnostic partition but that's less than 200MB in size so that's not the issue.

I want that machine, you want some money? I'll come pick it up in person so it's no work for you and pay generously. (PM sent)

BIOS is accessed by hitting F10 when the block appears in the top right, by the way, if nobody mentioned yet.

IDE<->USB adapters work on any drive I've ever tried, I doubt there's any restriction. The only thing to keep in mind is it must be set to MASTER if it's too old to have CABLE SELECT (might still need to be set to MASTER either way).
    Last edited by Raven; June 30th, 2018 at 04:33 PM.
    More commonly known as "Yushatak" - www.yushatak.com
    Focused on 486 and Pentium Machines
    I collect All-In-One PCs and Keyboard PCs, especially Compaq.