Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sol20 keyboard issue

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    I've ended up having to completely strip boards and replace all sockets due to TI and other substandard brands. Not fun.
    Yeah. I've thought of doing that - it's just concerns about originality and fear of making things worse that stops me. I've found most of the problems of this machine just involve pressing down on or reseating the trouble IC. Since I reseated U70 the machine powers up perfectly every time now. Just took me a long time to understand the schematic and decipher where strobe was going.

I thought TI sockets were good? Everyone's after them for their Apple 1 replicas.

TI sockets suck they we’re just cheap and common in the day. I’ve gotten good at rebuilding then on the board so I don’t change then often anymore. I’ve also gotten pretty good at feeling if a TI socket is bad by how it feels when I insert the chip. I also use a special pin straitening tool for chips I insert into the socket to be consistent.

Blog Entries

They sure aren't cheap or common now. I'm hoping to build an Apple 1 replica one day but am waiting for the gold rush on period correct parts to end first.

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    They sure aren't cheap or common now. I'm hoping to build an Apple 1 replica one day but am waiting for the gold rush on period correct parts to end first.
    If be careful, when that gold rush ends... you may not find anything period correct left.