Image Map Image Map

Thread: Can I read 800k disks with an LS120 drive on an iMac w/OS9?

Default Can I read 800k disks with an LS120 drive on an iMac w/OS9?

As the title says... I have an iMac G3 and one of those USB LS120 drives specifically designed to look like/go with it. I know it should read standard 1.44MB disks fine, but wondering about the older 800k DS/DD ones (or even 400k??) I'm getting conflicting info on whether this would work.

For that matter, can I read 800k disks in an LS-120 drive in anything else? (I.e. Linux?)

Blog Entries

Nope, not in an LS120. To quote WikiP on this:

[quote]Macintosh users found trouble making SuperDisk drives work with the GCR 800 KB or 400 KB diskettes used by older Macintoshes. These disks could be used in a SuperDisk drive only if formatted to PC 720 KB MFM format.[quote]

That is, they do MFM floppies only; the 400 and 800K ones are GCR with a variable data rate.

The Beige G3 as well as the older Performas could handle them.

Noted, thanks. Was hoping I had a solution that didn't involve buying yet another Mac :P (or a Kryoflux.)

Blog Entries

You don't have to buy another Mac. You could instead buy an Apple II GS, Commodore Amiga, or equip a PC clone with a Copy II PC Deluxe Board to read and write 800K HFS disks.

I seen read a few places that claimed a Superdisk was revised to handle GCR Mac disks but I think those were confused by Apple's use of the term Superdrive to refer to high density drives that could handle early Mac formats.

Blog Entries

Yeah--I think you're correct. Superdrive != Superdisk.