Image Map Image Map

Thread: How to uninstall After Dark 2.0 from Windows 3.1?

Default How to uninstall After Dark 2.0 from Windows 3.1?

I am thinking of putting afterdark on my 486 machine, running dos 6.22 and windows 3.1

However I remember that the last time I had afterdark on 3.1, it was hard to completely uninstall because it modified some system files, and deleting the program group, and the folder, was not enough.

I forget what I had to edit out, or which system files they are in.

Does anyone have any tips for what to do if I felt the need to uninstall it again?

I do have a basic uninstall utility installed, but it doesn't detect and remove changes made by software to system files, or anything like that.

Thanks.
    My Packard Bell has never given me any problems which were it's fault, the Packard Haters can stuff it! :

Quote Originally Posted by ScanDisk View Post
    I am thinking of putting afterdark on my 486 machine, running dos 6.22 and windows 3.1

However I remember that the last time I had afterdark on 3.1, it was hard to completely uninstall because it modified some system files, and deleting the program group, and the folder, was not enough.

I forget what I had to edit out, or which system files they are in.

Does anyone have any tips for what to do if I felt the need to uninstall it again?

I do have a basic uninstall utility installed, but it doesn't detect and remove changes made by software to system files, or anything like that.

Thanks.
    First check if AfterDark comes with an uninstall utility or uninstall instructions. I believe it should.

Otherwise, check SYSTEM.INI and WIN.INI before & after installation to see if AfterDark has added or modified any entries. If so, revert them to their original values.

I myself do not trust any third party uninstall utilities (or registry cleanup tools in later versions of Windows for that matter). Those tools might leave your system in a mess since they sometimes remove system files (.DLL) which are used by the software being uninstalled. but also by other software that you still need.

Another way is to backup the Windows directory before installation and perform a directory comparison once AfterDark has been installed using something like Norton Commander. You'll come to realize which files have been changed, added or removed. Be careful when removing any added files, especially DLLs, since they may be used by applications other than AfterDark.
    Last edited by mdanh2002; June 20th, 2018 at 08:35 PM.