Image Map Image Map

Thread: My favorite vintage game is Hack

Default My favorite vintage game is Hack

I've played a lot of vintage games on my AT&T 6300, but the best one was Hack (successor to Rogue, and predecessor to NetHack.) I could spend hours on end drinking potions, reading scrolls, and fighting monsters. In the end, I usually failed in my quest to get the Amulet of Yendor. But I died trying!

-- Kit

Blog Entries

We had identical experiences, down to the AT&T 6300. But did you ever complete Hack? It took me very many years to finish it.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)
    - Any very old/ugly IBM joystick (such as the Franklin JS-123)

I need to check this out. Trixter good article you sparked my curiosity.

I enjoy playing hack on OpenBSD.

But the most interesting roguelike is probably ROGUE for CP/M by David Goodenough.
    You'll need to find or create a QTERM overlay for your particular system.

"It's a me-too, 8-bit machine with good graphics and a disk system nobody will support."
    -- Bill Gates, about the Sony SMC-70 with the new 3.5" floppy drives (InfoWorld; June 7, 1982)

so the at&T was a pc compatible, Im a little confused because everything I read about this game says unix/linux. What OS were you playing it under in the mid 80's?

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    so the at&T was a pc compatible, Im a little confused because everything I read about this game says unix/linux. What OS were you playing it under in the mid 80's?
    Hack was one of my favourites too. I played it on a DOS PC and used 2 5,25 disks: one to play, the other to save the game. I had the idea the gamestate disappeared by saving.

Hack became PC-Hack and NetHack, several versions exist. Not only ascii ones, even graphics. I found an Atari and an Amiga version too.

And a very old one to play in WinOne 1.49 only.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    The AT&T PC 6300 was a rebranded version of the Olivetti M24. Both were IBM PC-compatible systems.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)
    - Any very old/ugly IBM joystick (such as the Franklin JS-123)