Image Map Image Map

Thread: Partitioning a CF card

Default Partitioning a CF card

I've got an 8G "wintec" filemate compactflash card. Still don't know if it will work yet, but how do you know how to create a partition that is aligned properly?

Blog Entries

Have you tried Linux "gparted"?

System is very old (486/75Mhz) with no CD drive. I was going to try to backup/restore the image using a USB adapter for the CF/PATA adapter so I could tell it to align properly, but it failed for some reason on the restore. I also got a 6G hard drive and it seems to work too so I may just use that and say who cares about alignment!

Blog Entries

On an old 486, it probably won't matter much.

I second what Chuck(G) said here, AFAIK that's just a performance enhancement and a CF card will probably outpace anything the 486 can do or at least would need unless you had a PCI ATA-133 controller in there (but I know from the other post that it's a Toshiba laptop, so not so much, lol).
    More commonly known as "Yushatak" - www.yushatak.com
    Focused on 486 and Pentium Machines
    I collect All-In-One PCs and Keyboard PCs, especially Compaq.

I had similar concerns some years ago. Here's my thread about that. By the way, that installation has been running 24/7 ever since.
    WANTED: Cardinal 2450MNP modem.

Even if the system is fast enough, aligning the partition when using FAT16/32 may still mean that data start unaligned, because of the FAT (the table) itself.
    So unless you go into complex calculations it's not going to be NTFS-like beneficial.