Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RetroBrite I have never use it.

When I Coco3 and all the hardware back when it came out 30 years ago and here is what I did. I keep it all cover when not in used and I will do the same when I get my Coco2 setup the way I want it. I am at the point I don't want to take away the Vintage of the Computer and everyone know at 35 Years old it won't look new. The tan is not that dark.

When I can I will take more picture of the out side and in side of the Coco 2. Should I take the picture out side of my house or inside my house?

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    Retrobrite doesn't stop the decomposition process of the plastic, it just changes the chemical structure of the very outermost layer of it. The peroxide treatment basically strips the bromine atoms out (the fire retardant) and replaces them with oxygen atoms.

Some plastics will yellow/brown again rapidly, while others don't. There are a few sparse videos of people showing like 6 month or 1 year after retrobrite and you can see some yellowing appearing again.
    Thanks. yeah, that's where I left off last. That's a pretty superficial look at it though, and I was hoping there was more in depth information. For archival purposes a year usually doesn't show meaningful change unless some accelerated degradation is simulated, and just looking at something is not really meaningful. The last professional research about it that I saw was from the Danish National Museum and they did not recommend it because of the microscopic degradation of the surface which they observed from the use of retrobrite on the plastic they tested. Each to his own I guess.

Like I said, one probably needs to make a choice between a "vintage" and an "archival" approach. In this case you probably can't have both.

Edit, I found the article in Danish here. You can use Google Translate, or check out my previous post on the forum where I talked about it.
    Last edited by Ole Juul; June 27th, 2018 at 08:09 PM.
    WANTED: Cardinal 2450MNP modem.

Blog Entries

I've mentioned before that archivists are generally against any chemical treatment. For display purposes, a water-based paint represents a reversible solution.

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    For retrobrite, you'll need as much as it takes to paint on a thick layer on whatever you're trying to treat.

Though according to research done by 8 bit guy, hot 40% peroxide held at a constant 160F (IIRC) tends to work better because it doesn't leave streaking behind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZYbchvSUDY
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmdlcar View Post
    I will need to find where they sell 40% peroxide and how much.
    8-bit guy clarifies later in that video (about 16:45) that the peroxide he used wasn't 40% but 12%. In the cosmetics industry hydrogen peroxide is sold in grades 10, 20, 30, and 40, which he assumed referred to the percentage strength, but it's not. Those grades are really 3, 6, 9, and 12% strength. They should all be easily available either as a liquid or a cream.