Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Modern Saturn 128 redesign.

I would be interested in one.

/Rob

I expect they are weeks away from being ready.
    The prototype boards have been made but are coming registered airmail, so probably about 3 weeks. I am also moving house in 5 weeks time so further development will probably have to wait until I unpack at the new house.

Who knows if I manage to pack my huge vintage collection of machines and parts ahead of schedule I may find time to complete a prototype and write the GAL code before I move. If I manage the impossible I should have production boards in hand about 10 days after that.

Quote Originally Posted by rjustice View Post
    I would be interested in one.

/Rob

The prototype boards arrived today, it has highlighted a few minor issues with the original layout.
    The card edge is a little too tight a fit in the slot for my liking so I'll adjust the cut lines for the production boards.
    For the production boards I have angle the led footprint so the leds can be bent upward and towards the front for a better viewing angle.
    The hole spacing for the .1uf caps has been changed to better suit the common monolithic cap size rather than the ceramic disc cap spacing.
    The electrolytic cap holes have been rotated 90 degrees to allow it to be bent over horizontally so it is less likely to be damaged.

Some of the parts I need are at my sons house 400km away, I had them delivered there thinking they would not arrive before I moved.. the move is now delayed so I'll have to get him to send them to me.
    Of course all of my Apple computers have been pack in preparation for the move, so I'll have to locate them and teach myself how to code the rules for GAL programming.

Minor setback, while writing the GAL rules I discovered that to be 100% compatible with the original Saturn one mode bit needs to be initialised high rather than low like the others.
    The latches I was using to store the mode bits don't support any initialisation other than low. So I've had to use different latches which has increased the chip count by one.
    New prototypes boards have been ordered, hopefully all problems are now resolved.
    Untitled-1.jpg