Image Map Image Map

Thread: Cleaning a lot of TTL's and other IC's

Default Cleaning a lot of TTL's and other IC's

I acquired a box of IC's. These IC's were in a damp basement for 20+years. The black anti-staic pads the IC's were in were moist and gooey. When I pulled the IC's out of the pads, there was still some bits of the pad still tightly stuck onto the pins. Most pins were also black, or dull gray. But still straight. There are several hundred IC's. I did a good cleaning a few random chips and tested them. They were sill in working condition. So I want to clean them all up. The few that I did clean took a bit of mussel to get the bits of pad off the legs using a small Flathead screwdriver. I also used the screwdriver edge to scrap off the black corrosion. 1 16pin IC took about 5 minutes to look usable.
    What would be the easiest way to clean then in batches. I have a home jewelry cleaning unit. Is there a solution I could make that I could use?
    Thoughts, suggestions, ideas, links?
    Thanks
    Atari Falcon 030/FX-1 CF & SD 14mb, Atari MSTE, Atari PS3000, STACY 4 /w UltraSatan SD, 4160STE-CosmosEX, Atari PC1-PCH204-2xPCF-551-PCM124, 1040STFM, 1040STF, 520ST(4mb, 16mhz), 400-48K & std kybrd, 800, 600XL, 800XL, 1200XL(256 Rambo,svideo,31-OS,APE upgrade), 130XE, XEGS, matching peripherals for all,
    Apple llGS ROM 3-4mb-CF HD, C64, 4+, IBM XT 5160, IT 99/4+, TRS80-4P, Amiga 500,

Blog Entries

By jewelry cleaning unit do you mean an ultrasonic cleaner? If so, a mild solvent or detergent or maybe even Dawn dish might do the job. I've got some cleaner for this purpose but don't recall off the top of my head what it is. Sellers of ultrasonic cleaning machines and solutions generally have a list of recommendations for different jobs. Here's one https://blog.omegasonics.com/archive...aning-solution

If it's just deteriorated foam, then soak them in 91% Isopropyl alcohol. Then after a few hours the residue will come off with an old toothbrush soaked in the ISP.

For me, the best way is after degreasing with a tenside cleaner and / or IPA, mechanical cleaning of the legs with a fibre glass drawing ink eraser (like this one: https://www.reichelt.de/Circle-ruler...t_sldr::218468).
    This takes aprox 30 secs per IC, so I would do this right before usage anyway if the legs are no shiny bright.

Blog Entries

Brakleen should clean just about anything:

Just keep it off of plastic and paint.

Blog Entries

That is my concern with solvents. Immersion of an IC package in a solvent might be a bad idea.

Blog Entries

IC packages are mostly ceramic or epoxy--short of using fuming red nitric acid, I've never been able to make a dent in one. I doubt that this stuff will bother them. Remember that when old ICs were in use, boards were cleaned after assembly with chlorinated solvents.