Image Map Image Map

Thread: I have a couple questiosn regarding the mainboard on my Osborne 1

Default I have a couple questiosn regarding the mainboard on my Osborne 1

Here are some photos of my osborne 1 system board : http://s613.photobucket.com/user/Ver...brary/Osborne1

First off , is the daughter card a high density card for the floppy drive? IF so that would make the drives 160KB rather than 80KB is that correct?

Secondly, the board has a card-edge connector with a loopback cover over it labeled Ext Video. IF the cover is removed no video goes to CRT. Behind the cardedge connector are header pins. Here is my next question. I know some osborne 1 units have composite video out. If I want to implement a composite video out, what do I need to do?

My case has a date of Feb 15 1983 and the model revision of the systemboard is 3A10063 Rev K

Blog Entries

Not high density but double-density (FM vs. MFM).

Ok got it, so am I right on the 160Kb? or are these actually 360Kb?

Blog Entries

Depends on the board (which I'm not familiar with), but the usual scheme was this:

Bog-standard single-sided FM : 37 cylinders of 10 x 256 byte sectors = 94,720 bytes of user + directory space. Some early O1 implementations used only 35 cylinders, so 32 x 10 x 256 = 81,920 bytes of user space. (3 cylinders in either case were reserved for system boot).

Single-sided MFM: 37 cylinders of 5 x 1024 bytes = 189,440 bytes.

By replacing the drives using the "Osmosis" kit, using 96 tpi DS drives, you could essentially quadruple that to about 788,480 bytes.

5. Default

Hi

There is a Daughterboard that goes onto the motherboard. It may be the 80 column board. It has a two pin connector on it. A cable plugs into and has a female RCA
    connector on the other end. It goes into a hole that is drilled by the Ext Batt connector. Then you plug in your monitor to it.

A Second option, is a plug that goes into the Ext Video port. You remove the factory plug and put in the plug. It has a RCA plug on the side. You just plug in the monitor.
    The one I have is called Exmon by JJM Enterprises.

Another option is to get a Osborne GM-12 monitor that plugs into the Ext Video port.

There maybe other options out there.

Blog Entries

it connects via Ribbon to the main board next to IC MB8877
    From his photo description. The MB8877 is a floppy controller.

Anyone have any insight about my composite out question on the Osborne 1?