Image Map Image Map
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: I'm hoping to get a 5170 on Sunday... What are the HD options?

Cool! Looks good!
    Bobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    As noted elsewhere on the forum, unfortunately the XTIDE Universal BIOS has some sort of unknown incompatibility with the 5170 and 5162 with their original stock BIOS ROMs that results in unreliable transfers, so an XT-IDE is not feasible on those specific two systems. If they switch out their ROM BIOS for a generic Award ROM BIOS, then there are no compatibility issues with the XUB.
    Yeah I keep reading that, so I would have to go and test some more with mine... I have a 5170 with XT-IDE in it but haven't noticed anything weird yet, it's a later model 339 with Type II mainboard and all original EGA card, HD/FD adapter etc. Is there any way to reproduce this problem because AFAIK during my "normal use" I never noticed anything.
    Oh man, this isn't happening... it only thinks it's happening. - Kevin Flynn

What BIOS are you running in your 5170?

Quote Originally Posted by Denniske1976 View Post
    Yeah I keep reading that, so I would have to go and test some more with mine... I have a 5170 with XT-IDE in it but haven't noticed anything weird yet, it's a later model 339 with Type II mainboard and all original EGA card, HD/FD adapter etc. Is there any way to reproduce this problem because AFAIK during my "normal use" I never noticed anything.
    The subject information is relatively old. The IBM 5162 is affected too. I remember that, at the time, an experiment was done showing that the XUB was the cause and not the XT-IDE hardware. I cannot remember experiment details, and I cannot think of how such an experiment would have been done. There have been new releases of XUB since that time, and maybe the problem got unknowingly fixed during one of the releases.

And if the XT-IDE hardware is implicated, to note is that subsequently, the circuitry was improved in revision 4 of the card.

What revision of XT-IDE and XUB do you have ?