Image Map Image Map
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: I'm hoping to get a 5170 on Sunday... What are the HD options?

Well, I'm not the world's best spray painter, but this turned out far better than I expected. I got some Rust-oleum Chalked spray paint in aged gray at Walmart for $6.48 and decided to give it a try. The only surface prep besides allowing Nanoskin Iron Free to eat away at the rust for maybe 5 rounds was to rinse all of that off and wash it with Dawn and do a final rinse and dry. I'm going to let it dry for a few days and then try some of that paint protect on it.

IMG_0730.jpg

IMG_0731.jpg

Edit to add - I like this paint - the surface feels soft and not sticky at all.

It looks well done, albeit a bit flat. Don't mean to peeped on the parade. I have to do my AT also. Soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Are 16-bit ISA IDE adapter cards that uncommon?
    Would modern h/d's be a option with one?

Blog Entries

Why not? At its most basic, an "IDE adapter" is just some "glue" to interface the ISA bus to the drive--it has no "smarts".

I replaced the 6V battery as well, it was down to 1.8V. Still maintaining the BIOS values though even if it was keeping terrible time. I had a 3xAA battery box laying around so I adapted that. It has alkalines in it temporarily, but I'll have some AA lithiums which have a flatter discharge curve when I get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by 2icebitn View Post
    It looks well done, albeit a bit flat. Don't mean to peeped on the parade. I have to do my AT also. Soon.
    Hopefully it will get a small bit of shine when I hit it with the paint protect! I'll do that Saturday and see how it turns out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alank2 View Post
    I replaced the 6V battery as well, it was down to 1.8V. Still maintaining the BIOS values though even if it was keeping terrible time. I had a 3xAA battery box laying around so I adapted that. It has alkalines in it temporarily, but I'll have some AA lithiums which have a flatter discharge curve when I get a chance.
    Those AA alkalines will probably last their shelf life (several years). The RTC is very low current-draw. I'm not sure that lithiums will give you much more bang for the buck.

Thanks Chuck. I'm thinking Lithium because they have a flatter discharge curve, Alkaline 1.6V-0.8V to dead means that at the end it would be 2.4V less the diodes would be 2V. As my lithium (1.8V) showed above, it would probably keep the data, but I wonder if the clock would be quite slow at that voltage. You are right - it is really a question of is the lithium worth the price vs. the benefit. I could put some near end of like Alkaline's in there and see what happens.

Put some polish on the paint and it looks pretty nice even if it isn't a perfect match for the original color. I still need to try to clean up the front bezel which has a few nicks and spots, I'm going to just try to fill those with something that looks better, not repaint it.

IMG_0733.jpg